Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Help with removal of MOEN shower faucet.

Thanks for the info. When I bought the new one, there was this little plastic piece, that I didn't know what it was for. I looked at the removal instructions and it didn't say anything about it. I went back to home depot, and asked someone who worked there what it was for. They had told me it was a removal tool? I was like OK, maybe thats why its not coming out. Got back home, tried that...nothing. So it's still in there. The bathroom was remodeled about 15 years ago, but they never put in shut off valves to the shower. So I'm just going to get some shut off valves and install them where the water goes to the shower only. Turn the water back on, but turn the watter off to the shower. You realize how much you rely on water, when you don't have any.

Showers don't generally have supply shut-offs because there is not place to locate them, being that the plumbing is in the wall, unlike a sink or toilet that has exposed connections. I don't think I'd worry too much about installing shut offs. Just get the cartridge replaced and the water back on and be done with it. It doesn't seem worth the trouble when this is probably the first time in 15 years that the shower has been messed with.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Showers don't generally have supply shut-offs because there is not place to locate them, being that the plumbing is in the wall, unlike a sink or toilet that has exposed connections. I don't think I'd worry too much about installing shut offs. Just get the cartridge replaced and the water back on and be done with it. It doesn't seem worth the trouble when this is probably the first time in 15 years that the shower has been messed with.
    Well, I had intended to install shutoff's in the basement right below the bathtub because that to me seemed like the only logical place to put them. I had installed them, now I have leaks everywhere. They are already soldered in, but my question now is how to get the water out so I can finish soldering them correctly? This 15 minute project is turning into a nightmare.

Take the joints apart, clean them up and let the water drain/drip out dry. If they won't stop dripping on their own, then pick up some pipe plug jelly balls. They are heat/water soluble so that after the joint is made they'll melt and pass out of the system. I'd recommend removing any shower heads or aerators that would be adversely affected.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Is the washing machine or any other taps down in the basement?
    If so open those since they would be lower than the shutoffs you're putting in and the water would drain out those lines.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Is the washing machine or any other taps down in the basement?
    If so open those since they would be lower than the shutoffs you're putting in and the water would drain out those lines.
    Yes, the washing machine is like 2 feet from where I'm working. Never thought of that.

I'm just letting it drain out now and I might just install some caps on it and call it quits on this. I'm just going to tell my dad, since its his house anyway, to hire a pro.

i would try a pair of vise grips on the stem and then use a small crow bar wedged between the shower wall and vise grips with a small piece of wood between to force the cartridge out since a moen cartridge puller wont work since you drilled out the screw threads.if only the center part comes out then the moen cartridge puller with a spring loaded ball end will hook and remove the rest after some twisting....it has worked for me numerous of times and when it hasnt we replace the whole valve.

my main concern right now is to get the water out of a horizontal line so i can re-solder it back together. any ideas?

You can also heat up the cartridge with extreme caution, if you have enough room in the wall to do so safely. What this will do is melt the o rings and it should pull right out. Sounds like you are having an experience you will never forget!