+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with removal of MOEN shower faucet.

I had already removed the knob, the screw, I had to drill it out, the chrome cover, to gain access to the mixing valve that sends water to the shower head. I cannot get it out for the life of me. I had removed the clip that holds it in place, and it still wont come out. Has anyone else had issues removing this? I went to school for plumbing, and this is the first time I had this happen that it wouldn't come out. HELP!!!

Default Re: Help with removal of MOEN shower faucet.

Get the owners manual from the manufacturer's website. This should help you figure out if there's any hidden clips or fasteners anywhere.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would do that, but is there a part# that I should be looking for?

OK, so the new cartridge that I bought from Home Depot, a MOEN brand, has a removal tool to remove the old cartridge. Well, it doesn't work. Any way to remove this before I decide to say screw this and just higher a professional to do it? I'm about to punch a hole in the wall. Oh, and I could use a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by erk215 View Post
    I would do that, but is there a part# that I should be looking for?
    The best you can do is to find the make/model of your valve, even if it's a visual match. Once you get that, the owners manual should be pretty simple. Also, most of the valves are the same, it's just the window dressings (parts you can see ) that change. Probably any cartridge style valve manual will do.

Without having the tool and valve in front of me, I cannot offer specific recommendations.

Oh, go get yourself a beer, and cool off. Things are much easier that way.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Here's what instructions I recall for those.
    Unscrew the small hex screw from the closed end of the Moen cartridge puller until the threads on the end of the screw becomes visible.
    Place the opposite end of the puller over the cartridge. Ensure that the slots on the end of the puller align with the tabs or ears .
    Turn the small hex screw on the puller until the screw stops.
    Hand-tighten the large hex nut located in the middle of the puller, then pull the puller away from the cartridge to remove it. If the cartridge will not disengage, turn the large hex nut with a wrench one full turn, then pull the puller away from the cartridge again. Repeat until the cartridge can be removed.

Oh --- having a beer helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The best you can do is to find the make/model of your valve, even if it's a visual match. Once you get that, the owners manual should be pretty simple. Also, most of the valves are the same, it's just the window dressings (parts you can see ) that change. Probably any cartridge style valve manual will do.

Without having the tool and valve in front of me, I cannot offer specific recommendations.

Oh, go get yourself a beer, and cool off. Things are much easier that way.
    I already got the part that I need. I kinda hacked at it first before going to buy the cartridge because I didn't know there was a special tool needed to remove the old one. And the little thing that the handle sits on broke off, and now I can't get the old one out. Also, whoever put this one in, used lock tite on the screw to hold the handle in, and that stripped out when I tried taking it out. I had to physically drill the head of the screw off and get it off that way. I will go get a beer, or hang with my friend Mr. Daniels.

Go here and direct us to the valve that most closely matches what you've got.
    http://www.moen.com/bathroom/shower-.../N-682Z1z141uy

http://www.moen.com/legend/chrome-mo...-CONSUMER:3270

Thats pretty much what the style handle looks like.

According to the exploded view, it is held together with a retaining clip. Pull the clip and the cartridge should come out pretty easily, as it's only o-ring friction holding it in place.
    http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/3270pt.pdf

Most of the valves are that style, the few that are different use a threaded retaining ring that is removed with an wrench (flat surfaces on either side of the ring ).