+ Reply to Thread

Default How to pull L-shaped faucet handles?

I have a compression faucet with an 8 inch spread that's leaking water from the base of the cold water handle. I've read ****** that this is a common problem with compression faucets that should be easy to fix. But I can't pull the cold water handle off. After removing the lock nut, I should be able to pull off the handle easily but it won't budge.

Every tip I've read ****** talks about using handle pullers, but those only seem to work on older handles with a screw in the middle. I've got an L-shaped handle. The L-shaped handles don't have a spot to screw down on with handle pullers.

Delta, the faucet maker, suggested I heat up white vinegar and pour it in the top of the faucet. I've tried this and no luck yet. Anyone else have any ideas? The faucet is only 9 years old so I'm surprised it's that stuck. Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: How to pull L-shaped faucet handles?

If there is no pop off cap hiding the retaining screw, check the side for a set screw.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If all retaining fasteners have been removed, tap on the handle to drive it further onto the stem to break the corrosion, then "wobble" the handle while lifting to walk if off. You may need to repeat the tapping a time or two and even tap it side to side, but be careful tapping on the side so as not to bend the stem. Sometimes you can hook the claw of a hammer under the handle to tap upwards. Caution and care are the keywords of the day.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the replies! The set screw is on the side. I did remove the set screw but the handle was still stuck. I'll try banging it down more though.

Keep in mind I said tapping not banging. You don't want to force the handle on tighter, the point is to break the corrosion that's holding it in place.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!