+ Reply to Thread

Default Measuring device for height changes

I think I remebering seeing a device like a transit that sat on a post on your show. You set a reference point and then moved the post around the yard and it told you how much of height change from reference you have. It was a one person operated device. It was all digital and I think you could map your whole yard and put it in the computer or something. Well I now have a use for it but can not remember who made it or what is called. Can anyone help me thanks.

Mark
    Chicago

Default Re: Measuring device for height changes

You're talking about laser levels , but I have to warn you they are not cheap.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You could use a water level, which is merely a length of clear vinyl tubing connected to a water pot and a measuring stick. The water pot sits in one spot while you walk the measuring stick around the yard, noting the water level in the tubing. Cheap and easy solution. Or, if you've got $25, you could rent a builders level and do the same thing, only this will require a second person to hold the story pole (measuring stick ) while you look through the scope.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yeah, that was what was nice about the thing I saw it was one person and no story pole. Just walk around and touch ground and it said +/- whatever distance from start point.

you don't even have to do that just GPS the corner points for the mapping limits. it was called a total station by the septic contractor's topography mapper. he didn't have to use a leveling pole except for two or three spots because his was GPS equipped and robotic controlled with radio or microwaves it was a little device guess its called a reflector. he explained he controled and stored the data to the laptop computer cabled to it and could make instant topography map or 3-D graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    you don't even have to do that just GPS the corner points for the mapping limits. it was called a total station by the septic contractor's topography mapper. he didn't have to use a leveling pole except for two or three spots because his was GPS equipped and robotic controlled with radio or microwaves it was a little device guess its called a reflector. he explained he controled and stored the data to the laptop computer cabled to it and could make instant topography map or 3-D graphics.
    Sure sounds expensive for all that gear.

I think the water level would work fine; at lot cheaper and no wires or power requirements to boot.