+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tool to tighten faucets to sinks

In a recent show Richard Trethewey was installing a faucet assembly in a sink. To tighten the assembly to the sink he used some sort of a plastic (?) sleeve-like tool to tighten the eared nut. Can you tell me where I can obtain this device? My local retail plumbing supply firm has not heard of this tool. I don't find it at Home Depot either, although I didn't ask them about it. Thanks for your attention. I would like to get one if I knew where to look . lwpaul

Default Re: Tool to tighten faucets to sinks

Here's the plastic nut basin wrench from Ridgid
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Plastic-Nut-Basin-Wrench/

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 08-24-2008 at 04:19 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Same deal here. Our plumbing supply houses haven't ever heard of them either.

You can make one from a length of 1 1/4" pipe or tubing. Cut the slots in the end and there ya go.

Many thanks for the info and quick response time. The Rigid basin wrench is certainly an elegant, well, for a plumbing product, tool. But, at $20.33 per copy over the internet I think I will try ****hiller's solution. Given the number of times I will need to use one I think I'm going to try to build my own. His instructions seem good enough that even I should be able to make one that works. If not , it could be back to Rigid.

Thanks again, lwpaul

Yeah, I managed to get along without one for a long time, but after spending too much time and effort fighting to remove those plastic nuts out from under cultured marble sinks .......I finally made one. (Dang things take a real bite to the uneven surface under those counters. Hot-knife a bunch into pieces in a tight space where your elbows are in your ears....and you realize that there has to be a better way.)

I just made four slots in mine. Turn it with a short pipe wrench on the tuffies.

Or...you could drill a couple holes thru it and stick a screwdriver in there to turn it.

PS- I cut the slots in mine with a 1/8" disc on an angle-grinder. Hacksaw is too much work. I like to avoid work whenever possible. <G>
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-24-2008 at 10:58 PM.

The faucets often come with a plastic tool for this purpose (they sometimes have holes drilled in them so you can insert a screw driver or other tool through or across them to twist them rather than relying on your hand grip strength).

If you've lost yours you might still be able to acquire one from the manufacturer possibly free or a small handling charge, even when you must purchase they are usually cheaper.

Alternatives include a ratchet jaw basin wrench attachment or standard "T" basin wrench tool if you have other than plastic nuts and enough clearance:

ratchet jaw basin wrench attachment
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...820&lpage=none

standard basin wrench
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...811&lpage=none

Sometimes a small strap wrench works best, for example on a bonnet nut.
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 08-25-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Watson View Post
    The faucets often come with a plastic tool for this purpose (they sometimes have holes drilled in them so you can insert a screw driver or other tool through or across them to twist them rather than relying on your hand grip strength).

If you've lost yours you might still be able to acquire one from the manufacturer possibly free or a small handling charge, even when you must purchase they are usually cheaper.
    Interesting .... perhaps it may be a very recent inclusion with faucets.
    After installing a number of faucets in my time I haven't run across these being included ... I'm sure by now I would have an accumulation of these.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I've never seen one included either, including the $300 lav faucet I installed last week.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Hacksaw is too much work. I like to avoid work whenever possible. <G>
    That's what a bandsaw is for.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!