+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2

    Angry HELP NEEDED ASAP mold on basement walls

    Home built in 1829. Old sandstone foundation. Purchased 5 years ago and basement looked in great shape. After 2 years, colors began to show through white-painted latex walls (previous owners tried to cover) - tested positive for 5+ molds. Have bleached, sc****d, etc... still coming through. Just put on new roof, new seamless gutters. Do not get water coming into basement. How do I get mold off permanently without having to spend a small fortune?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP mold on basement walls

    Mold grows on a moist or damp surface. Mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.
    Make sure the ground slopes away from your foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation. Consider the possibility of leaking sewer lines around your foundation.
    Reduce humidity in your basement. Check it with a hygrometer. Ideal might be around 30%, but your basement may need to be drier.
    Wash affected area with a mild detergent solution, such as laundry detergent and warm water. Allow to dry. Then wipe with a solution of ¼ cup bleach to one quart of water. Wait 20 minutes and repeat. Wait another 20 minutes.

    Last apply a borate-based detergent solution and don’t rinse. This will help prevent mold from growing again. A borate-based laundry or dish washer detergent has “borate” listed on the ingredients label.
    Hope this helps... Kev.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP mold on basement walls

    Everything Kev said is correct, but you should also invest in a dehumidifier. They aren't all that expensive and compared to the health problems you could encounter due to mold, very cheap indeed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •