+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot Water Pipe Noise

Hello, hopefully someone can help me. Everytime my wife and I turn on the hot water from the master bath sink, master shower and kitchen sink I hear a banging noise in the pipes(Not Water Hammer). All three faucets are connected to the same hot water line. I have another full bathroom that is connected to a seperate hot water line and doesn't make noise. I checked the hot water copper pipe and it was a little loose against the floor joist. There is copper u brackets nailed to the joists. When I had a plumber come over he said the hot water pipe was too tight against the floor joists and loosened the pipe by pulling on it. Now the pipe is away from the floor joists and it still makes noise. Even louder then before. I thought the pipes needed to be secured tight to the floor joists. We have a well and installed a new back wash system with a new water tank this past summer. I am not sure if that is the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Hot Water Pipe Noise

It sounds like your hot water pipe may not have enough brackets along the pipe line and is touching something metal along the way. Also, check your copper u brackets- they may be a little loose around the pipe. If the copper u brackets are loose around the pipe, try to stuff pipe insulation between the u bracket and the pipe to stop the vibration. It is unlikely that your new back wash system and water tank have anything to do with the noise.
    Cyril Prendergast
    Kitchen, Bath & Home Remodeler
    Serving the Hudson Valley, New York
    Hidden Content

Default Re: Hot Water Pipe Noise

Thanks for your help. I will resecure the pipes to the floor joists using your suggestions.