+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removing a wall built with the house

I would love to remove the wall separating my kitchen from my dining room, but I'm not sure how to determine if it's safe. What is the rule for knowing if a wall can be safely removed?

Default Re: Removing a wall built with the house

As long as the wall you want to remove is parallel with the roof trusses its okay. The walls down the center (perpendicular to the trusses) are supporting the roof. Normally, the floor joists and roof truesses go in the same direction. Is your home a ranch?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gabrilson View Post
    As long as the wall you want to remove is parallel with the roof trusses its okay. The walls down the center (perpendicular to the trusses) are supporting the roof.
    I'd be a little hesitant to make that general statement without a little more info or pictures. Probably true in most cases, but not in an addition on our home!

What is above the wall you want to move? What is the support structure above this wall, roof trusses or rafters or floor joists for an upper story? If floor joists and if this wall is perpendicular to them what is their size and span if this wall is removed? This is a start, there are more questions to answer.

You would be better served (and quicker probably than the post - re-post time lapse) to get someone on site that is qualified to look at the structure to answer these things.

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    I'd be a little hesitant to make that general statement without a little more info or pictures. Probably true in most cases, but not in an addition on our home!

What is above the wall you want to move? What is the support structure above this wall, roof trusses or rafters or floor joists for an upper story? If floor joists and if this wall is perpendicular to them what is their size and span if this wall is removed? This is a start, there are more questions to answer.

You would be better served (and quicker probably than the post - re-post time lapse) to get someone on site that is qualified to look at the structure to answer these things.
    Aren't we (almost)always talking generalities here. There is always more info. that we need. If her house is a simple ranch, as I have it pictured in my mind, it'll be okay. I would hope she would have someone verify before she takes a sledgehammer to the wall. LOL

Bob, I agree....common sense would indicate we are talking in generalities most of the time and internet provided answers/design should not be taken as a substitute for on-site evaluation. However...some of the questions and follow up discussion I see on here don't lead me to believe everyone is operating under the same understanding so I am a little cautious!

It's interesting that your first assumption was that it is a simple ranch, you must be a glass half full kinda guy. I'm a pessimist, so my first thought was that it is some kind of two story structure that even if it's not load bearing, probably has all kinds of plumbing, electrical and HVAC returns running through it.

I have to agree with bp21901,. while general descriptions can be provided and answerers like check below the wall to see if it is supported or just built on an open floor is general advice it is always best to suggest inspection by a professional. While general assumptions are OK, when it may suggest to a novice a plan that could lead to catastrophic failure all caution must be taken.

With the proper inspection this type of work can be done even with a bearing wall provided due diligence and a proper header is used.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Always the troublemaker, aren't you, BP.

Given the infinite number of variables, the correct answer would be to have it inspected by a professional to determine whether the wall is load bearing or not, and whether or not there will be plumbing and electrical that must be moved.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Always the troublemaker, aren't you, BP.
    Yep....that's me....busily spreading hate and discontent throughout the internet cloud!!

Bob ,
    I have to agree with the trouble making bp21901 and the others.

Too many unknowns when it comes to structural questions.

Consider the pretty vaque information the OP provided it's difficult to say anything specific. With no offense to the OP ---- we can gage the level of expertise of the folks asking questions and provide them with basic information but really should direct them to have someone knowledgable on site.
    Besides, your answer is pretty generic and isn't always the case --- support walls can run with the joist directions as well.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Bob ,
    I have to agree with the trouble making bp21901 and the others.
    Hey! If anyone is gonna be picking on Bob, it's going to be me!

Let's not forget our past history here with being too vague or too specific and being shown the gauntlet of abuse by a certain individual for it. While I agree that the OP's question was a bit vague, let's not be too harsh on our fellow posters. I know that in my time here I've come to realize that my location and experience isn't the same as everyone else's. I've learned a lot from you guys, and I hope that I've made an impression on you as well.

That being said, Damn it Bob! What were you thinking!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!