Default Low water pressure in tub

Hello, We have been faithful TOH watchers since the days of Bob Vila. We have a problem and hope you can help us. We have very poor water pressure to the bathtub and shower. My boiler tech told me that the pipe off the boiler leaves the boiler as 3/4" then goes to 1/2" as it snakes to the tub. Can the pipe be cut and joined with 3/4 " to increase the water pressure to the tub and shower? We feel like we're being sprinkled on when we shower and it takes 45 minutes for the tub to fill. We'd appreciate your help. If this can be done, can Pex be joined to copper piping to increase size?
    Thanks, Bob and Sue Montmeny, Springfield, MA

Default Re: Low water pressure in tub

It's not clear if this is the only place you are having a problem and if it is only the hot water or both.

What is the age of the house and the type of piping (iron pipe, copper )? Of then times debris can break loose within the system and lodge itself at the fixture. Because you say it's a tub/shower combo and the problem is at both the tub spout and the shower, I'm inclined to believe that the blockage has occurred at or before the valve itself. It would be worth your while to turn the water off at the main coming into the house and disassembling the valve to see if there is debris lodged inside. I'd also remove the shower head and check it for debris.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Making the supply to the shower 3/4" after it is already reduced to 1/2" will reduce the water pressure to the shower.

You need to measure your flow rate. I suspect you have a low flow shower head with the restrictor removed. Try a new shower head with a good aerator. Your shower head should be restricted to 2.5 gallons per minute or less, the flow restrictor and aerator will give you that pressurized strong stream effect you desire.

Poor water flow to bathtub and shower may have nothing to do with shower head itself.

I would do what A Sruce said, it is probably heckuva lot cheaper than paying any plumber to change the water line.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

hello all,
    I just wanted to add that my brother in law told me that you can get a "booster" for the plumbing somehow. He mentioned it in relation to the idea the I am on the third floor in my apartment and the pressure was very low. They have since fixed it, not sure what was used to do so.
    need any tips or advice.....Hidden Content