+ Reply to Thread

Default coal fireplace to wood fireplace?

I have a double coal fireplace - I'm not sure that they were originally coal fireplaces, but that was the last thing that they were. anyway, they are back to back and I was wondering if I could steal space from one and make it a wood burning fireplace? Has anyone done anything like that before? Can it be done? The chimney is in good shape ( it exists fully ).
    thanks in advance!

Default Re: coal fireplace to wood fireplace?

I would not have a wood fireplace share a flue with any other solid fuel appliance. Creosote build up being the main concern.

The fireplaces are not used - I don't believe you're allowed to use coal fireplaces anymore (I wouldn't know where or how to buy coal).

You can still use coal, I am not aware of any local ordinances prohibiting it. If you are in the NorthEast anthracite coal is readily available. Elsewhere, midwest & west, bituminous coal is readily available.

I don't know what kind of performance you will get from a wood burning fireplace. If the chimney flue was sized for both fireplaces to burn only burning one may allow some smoke in the room if it doesn't draft fully.

You may be better served getting a wood stove with a glass door and connecting its flue pipe to your chimney through the existing damper. You will still have the view of the fire and it will heat more efficiently than the fireplace.

Any pictures we could look at?

I'm in the South - New Orleans - I've never heard of anyone buying or selling coal here..I guess I can live without a working fireplace - I would only use it a couple days out of the year. But it would make those couple of days nice! The house is raised 5 feet - for two reasons - one, it was built prior to levees in the city and so it was built to be above the flood plane and two, it helps cool the interior in the long hot summer! Here are a couple of pictures. These are post renovation pictures - I completed the renovation in 2008.
    thanks for you advice!
    anita

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AbtnLlm0btGRk

here's the link to the pictures...it didn't show up before...sorry

I would bet you are correct....no coal in LA! Nice renovation pics! I am curious, and the pics didn't show it, what is the chimney set up since the house is 5' off the ground? Does it have the brick run all the way to the ground and to a foundation for it?

Thanks! Yes, I love the house. The fireplace brick does go to the ground - it's like another pier. In the back of the house, the old kitchen (when kitchens weren't attached to your house, so the house didn't heat up and if it burned down, your house was okay) still has the base of the fireplace in it, but it was removed years ago. And by it I mean - the actual fireplace and the chimney.
    Last edited by alardcaretaker; 02-27-2010 at 04:19 PM.