+ Reply to Thread

Default Countertop Height & Problems w/ New Slide-in Range

I’ve installed a new slide-in range (GE Profile P2S975SEPSS) and it is 1/4" above the granite (even after adjusting the legs). The total height from the ground to counter top is 35.5". I've called GE and they don't have any suggestions overcoming this challenge as the minimum height for the range is technically 35.75". I'm hoping that the creative minds reading these threads can help... Any thoughts?

FYI. New cabinets and granite countertops were recently installed in my kitchen. The base cabinet height is 34.5". New granite is 1" thick. I noticed ****** that folks have suggested that an underlayment is required to reach the preferred 34.75"-36" (cabinet+counter) surface height, but the neither the cabinet or granite contractor mentioned anything. As a side question, is this a preferred method of installing granite when the granite thickness is 1"?

Thank you for the help!

Default Re: Countertop Height & Problems w/ New Slide-in Range

is there a tile floor in the kitchen? the reason I ask is that quite often when this happens is because there is a tile floor that was put in after the cabinets were installed and the cabinets were not installed on top of the flooring but instead the flooring runs into the base of the cabinet. if this is the case then I would remove the flooring from the front of the stove back which will then lower the stove to the appropriate height.

Thanks for the reply. There isn’t any tile. We recently demo'd the entire kitchen and had stained concrete installed. The cabinets and granite were then installed afterwards.

mark where the four feet line up on the floor and take a diamond cup wheel and notch out the floor the quarter inch plus so that it will sit down.

Or remove the feet altogether from the range that should get it down further.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I was thinking the same thing. However, I would then need to bring it back up by about .5 inches. I could use wood blocks (cut to the precise height needed) and/or shims to raise the height and level it out. Could there be a potential issue due to the repetitive opening / closing of the door and drawers? Without direct pressure from the range onto the wood blocks / shims and without securing the range to the wood blocks / shims to the unit, the range might be eventually dislodged?

I was also thinking that there are alternate leveling legs / adjustment feet available somewhere… GE uses a large plastic leveling foot with a .5 “ space between the thread and the foot. On older appliances, the leveling feet were constructed out of metal and the thread ran all the way down to the foot. This type of leveling foot would work but the diameters of the threaded post are significantly different. Does anyone know if there are alternate leveling feet available?

havanagranite -

That's a good idea. I actually might give that a try if my other ideas don't pan out.

Thanks!

Exclamation Re: Countertop Height & Problems w/ New Slide-in Range

I don't have a suggetion for you but I feel your pain.

Our cabinet installer mentioned that the thickness of countertop (silestone in our case) needs to be at least 1 and 1/4". Good that I read my product description for countertop carefully - the thickness of it only 3/4"!!! When I called them - they told me this is the only thickness they now make. I was speachless... I called Home Depo project coordinator (who should know things like that and indeed coordinate) and they did not know... So it took so many calls back and forth to clarify - underlayment needs to be done. So hopefully tomorrow everything will be OK and my cooktop (also GE) will not stick out of the countertop.

I am thinking of people who don't know what underlyment is (I used to be one of them untill recently) and there are a lot of other things...
    My advise to all homeowners ordering kitchen - be vigilant, read all papers and ask, ask, ask a lot of questions!

They ought to have put 1/2" ply underneath the CT material, and laminated another 1/2" band of the same stuff at the edge to make it appear the proper (1.25" or 3cm) thickness. A thin edge really cheapens the look.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.