+ Reply to Thread

Default air coming through toilet tank,and the bowl will not flush

I have a problem with my first floor toilet, when you flush, an air pocket comes up through the flapper and the water in the tank does not empty all the way out, and the toilet does not flush without me having to plunge it. I have taken an auger to the main floor drain, I have snaked out both first floor and basement toilet. I have taken the toilet off the floor and snaked down through the hole and also changed the wax rings. There is no other backed up drains,(sink or tub). Does anyone have any ideas about this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
    Karl

Default Re: air coming through toilet tank,and the bowl will not flush

Karl,
    try this ---- take a bucket of water and pour it rapidly into the bowl and see if it empties.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I tried the bucket of water and it flushed but is still not flushing with out plunging. An air pocket is still coming through the flapper when i try to flush, causing it to not drain the tank and to not flush.

Karl,
    The suggestion of pouring the bucket of water into the bowl was to see if it emptied normally. This helps determine where the problem might be --- not a cure.

By not flushing the toilet from the tank and the bowl empties normally rules out any blockage or vent issue.

Process of elimination ---this would indicate the problem would then be from the tank to the bowl pathway.

Just to clarify ......
    I tried the bucket of water and it flushed but is still not flushing with out plunging
    when you poured the bucket of water into the bowl ( without flushiing from the tank ) --- did it empty normally ?
    - Rush

Yes, the bowl emptied normally, would i have to snake the toilet from the bottom up through? So should I rule out the vent?

Thanks for the clarification Karl.

If the water level in the bowl rises and takes some time to empty then I would suspect a blockage at the discharge portion of the toilet , drain pipe or poor venting. In this case when the bucket of water was poured directly into the bowl and seemed to empty properly this confirmed the discharge section of the toilet , the drain pipe and the vent seem to function normally.

Normally when you move the lever on the tank the flapper opens ---- water rapidly flows out of the tank into the channels molded into the bowl. The water is channeled to holes under the rim which help to wash the bowl and to assit with providing the cyclonic action of the flush. Many bowls will have a "jet" outlet located further down in the bowl which dumps a larger amount of water rapdily to initiate the syphoning action that is the " flush ".
    It's the rapid fill of the bowl that is most important for the discharge---- which was simulated with the bucket of water.

I'm suspecting the problem is some restriction in the water pathway in the bowl.
    Hard to say for sure --- could be mineral build up or some object restricting the water from the tank to the bowl.
    Last edited by canuk; 02-16-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    - Rush

Should I disconect the tank from the bowl and see if anything is blocking or should i snake from the bottom of the toilet up? What would you recommend? I appreciate your help thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    Should I disconect the tank from the bowl and see if anything is blocking or should i snake from the bottom of the toilet up? What would you recommend? I appreciate your help thank you.
    If you want to remove the tank sure it can't hurt.
    As for snaking from the bottom up --- I guessing you mean from the " jet " up --- if you can sure.

You might even try cleaning out the holes under the rim --- maybe a wire coat hanger may work for you.
    - Rush

Thank you very much for your input. I poked around in the small hole in the bowl and found that there was a plastic wrapper of some sort blocking the flush, now it flushes like a champ. Thanks again.

Good stuff --- who would have thought watching a toilet flush can be such a wonderful thing

Glad to help.
    - Rush