+ Reply to Thread

Default Wooden Ceiling in Bathroom

Hi,

I could use some help with what I'm suppose to do with my bathroom ceiling. The ceiling of my full bathroom is made of wood. I'm concerned that mildew could build up over time as I shower and the room steams up. In general, should I be concerned about this? What type of stainer or varnish should I apply to the ceiling to protect it against mildew? Are there other types of problems I should expect to have with this type of wooden ceiling in my bathroom?

Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

Default Re: Wooden Ceiling in Bathroom

There are many anti-mold stains and paints. If there is already some mold, make sure to scrub with an anti-mold soap. Have you considered replacing the ceiling? Sounds unique. Have any pics. to share?
    _______
    Networx.com
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.

Howdy consider using a powerful bath fan to exhaust the moisture even better set it on a timer for 20 minutes after showers or baths.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marcy Tate View Post
    There are many anti-mold stains and paints. If there is already some mold, make sure to scrub with an anti-mold soap. Have you considered replacing the ceiling? Sounds unique. Have any pics. to share?
    I don't have any pics at this time. I don't plan to change the ceiling given how nice it looks, but more concerned about how I should care for it. Any products you would recommend? Or any stainer that protects against mold? I'm not very familier with these products, but I'm guessing some actually change the color of the wood.

I guess my bigger question would be...do I even need to apply anything to the wood? Another poster mentioned that leaving the fan for 20min would do the trick.

What's the actual purpose for staining wood? Is it just to make it look nicer? Protect it from harsh outdoor conditions? What do they apply to wooden sauna rooms?

Any more thoughts? I know I have alot of questions, but hope someone can help. Thanks guys.

Stain that you would use for interior woodworking is used to change the color of wood and then it is top coated with a poly or varnish to protect it. How long has the ceiling been up in the house? If its been a long time are you experiencing problems. If not you shouldn't have to do anything other than being sure to keep the fan running for 20 minutes after a shower. You may want to have a timer installed to take care of that aspect. If you do want to protect the wood a good poly will work well but any stain or poly could be difficult to apply overhead. Before applying any finish it is very important to be sure the wood is dry. Hope this helps you out.

Mike