+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking Faucet

Default Leaking Faucet

the faucet in my tub has been leaking for a few weeks now and it is gradually getting worse. does anyone know if it is possible to replace a ring or something inside the faucet without having to work with the copper pipes? The control know is one of those that pull straight out and turn left or right for hot/cold water.

Default Re: Leaking Faucet

If you know the brand and model, you can pick up a new cartridge or replacement seals at the hardware store. If you don't know exactly what it is, turn off the water main coming into the house, open the vanity faucet hot/cold for a moment to relieve the pressure, then dissassemble the tub valve and take the parts with you to match up.

Push a washcloth into the drain so that you won't lose any dropped parts or pieces. All you'll need to do after the water is off is to remove the handle. The top of the valve will unscrew, revealing the inner parts. Slip those parts out and put them into a baggy and take them to the store with you. Reinstall the new parts exactly as you removed the old. When you turn the water back on, only turn it on a small amount until you've checked your work for leaks or problems. Once you've done that, turn on the supply all the way. Check the tub one more time.

That's it, you're done.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, I will give that a try. It certainly seems easy enough!!

Before you start you should also Google your valve brand and get the owners manual from the manufacturer. This will not only give you a clue as to how it will come apart, it may also give you part numbers for the replacement pieces you'll need. You'll be able to have the repair parts before you start, making the job that much faster and easier.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Great information A.Spruce.

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    Great information A.Spruce.
    Well of course.

It was actually pretty simple. I did ge tthe brand before I went to the store, came back with the part and 10 minutes after turning the water off I was turning it back on. Thanks for your help. Thats saves me alot of money in water bills.

You're welcome, and thanks for posting an update. Glad that all went smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Well of course.

what??? now you want a cookie or a medal?
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWalt View Post
    what??? now you want a cookie or a medal?
    We only give biscuits on this forum.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb