+ Reply to Thread

Default Water almost shuts off after turn on and then starts back up

I am having a problem recently with the plumbing in my entire home. When I turn on a faucet, water pressure will be fine, but then after 5 seconds, the water pressure will diminish to almost nothing, but then it will come right back strong and pretty much stays strong depending on how long I am running the water. This same problem happens when I flush a toilet or turn a shower/tub on. It just started doing this a few weeks ago. Some details: I have well water, I just changed the inline filter 3 days ago because I thought it might be plugged. There was no difference after I changed the filter. Is this being caused possibly from a clogged vent? I appreciate any feedback!

Default Re: Water almost shuts off after turn on and then starts back up

Might depend on which type of well pump you have and if you have a pressure tank. That's the direction I would think you'd next need to check (also that all of your supply valves are fully open).

Quote Originally Posted by Burl View Post
    . Is this being caused possibly from a clogged vent? I appreciate any feedback!
    The venting will only be related to the drains. Your problem has to do with the water delivery system.

Like Gray said if you have a pressure tank that could be the cause of your problem. There is usually an air bladder at the top of the tank that keeps the system pressurized. If a hole has developed in the bladder you will not have a constant pressure. I imagine what is happening is that when you turn on the water your pressure tank is full. But since there is no air it loses pressure shortly there after. Then your well pump kicks on and your pressure comes back. Hope this helps you out.

Burl,

This has all the indications of a water-logged pressure tank.........or *maybe* a "hanging" pressure switch that isn't kicking in when it really should. I kinda suspect the former is the culprit though.

Is your pressure tank galvanized or is it painted? (Galvy would indicate a single compartment tank and painted would indicate a bladder type tank)

Any chance of posting a pic or two of the tank?

After geting more info.....we can likely proceed to offer you some help and a remedy.

*If* you have a water-logged tank....be aware that this condition is really hard on a well pump. If you own this house & well...the sooner you remedy the problem, the better.

If you are a renter...call the landlord ASAP and have him/her.....call a plumber.

FWIW....I'm gonna guess (from your descriptions of symptoms) that you have a bladder tank with a torn bladder. A piece of this torn bladder is getting pushed down over the outlet hole of the tank when you initially turn on the water.....hence the flow nearly or completely stopping. When the pump kicks in....the incoming water is delivered throughout the house plumbing..........and also pushes that torn flap of bladder out of the way so that the tank can also refill. But.........the tank is so water-logged at this point (as a result of the torn bladder) that very little water is actually delivered into the tank in order to satisfy the pressure switch. (There is no air-head left in the tank) Next time you open a faucet...the cycle repeats itself. *If* this is the case........it's time for a new bladder tank.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-23-2008 at 10:08 PM.