+ Reply to Thread

Thread: plumbing vent

Default plumbing vent

hi i already had a post on here from this same problem but i did have a question and wasnt sure how to reply to the guy who answered me in the first place . so here is the scenario if you can picture it . to avoid tearing down walls to reveal the original vent that was tiles over in the bathroon i was just going to hook the two sinks back up alond with the tub back into one drain like they were when i moved here becaus ethey did work fine for over a year . the drain runs through the cinderblock wall and right there i was going to dig it uo and place a tee in the drain . making a vent . will this be good enough? a lowes associate told me i can install cheater vents on the two sinks as well . and then run the water for a few days or whenever to see if that solves the problem if it doesnt do you still think its a bad vent or maybe the dry well may be full?i would just like to go cheaper and not tear down walls and yard if i dont have to . thankyou

Default Re: plumbing vent

Quote Originally Posted by larry27mny View Post
    hi i already had a post on here from this same problem but i did have a question and wasnt sure how to reply to the guy who answered me in the first place . so here is the scenario if you can picture it . to avoid tearing down walls to reveal the original vent that was tiles over in the bathroon i was just going to hook the two sinks back up alond with the tub back into one drain like they were when i moved here becaus ethey did work fine for over a year . the drain runs through the cinderblock wall and right there i was going to dig it uo and place a tee in the drain . making a vent . will this be good enough? a lowes associate told me i can install cheater vents on the two sinks as well . and then run the water for a few days or whenever to see if that solves the problem if it doesnt do you still think its a bad vent or maybe the dry well may be full?i would just like to go cheaper and not tear down walls and yard if i dont have to . thankyou
    If I'm following your description --- you want to place the vent line on the discharge part of the drain?
    If so -- no that's not where it should be. The vent is to provide air behind water --- a vacuum break --- at the fixture. Think of placing a straw in a glass of water--- cover the top of the straw with a finger and remove the straw ---- water that has filled the straw will stay inside until you remove your finger on the top of the straw ---- allowing air to push the water out --- air behind water ( vacuum break ) which is the same principal as your home drain system.
    A cheater may work for your situation since it sounds as though your gray water is not part of the septic system.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

well i was under the asumption that the vent has to be on the outgoing side of the trap . so if all the lines come into one and then i tee into it and vent it like that i thought that might work i didnt understand what the difference was doing that and somehow tearing down a wall to tap into the original vent that goes thru the roof as even then it is one vent for three sources and its still on the outgoing side of the traps . so your saying install the cheater vents on the sinks put everything back together as it was and if pray like heck it works lol if not go take out a loan? thanks and if this doesnt work why does my septic have a one pipe that goes into the tank and that has a tee in to it with a vent that you can see down into? thanks

The way I was reading your description it sounded to me you wanted to place the vent at the point where the drain exists the home.
    Last edited by canuk; 02-15-2010 at 08:23 PM.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by larry27mny View Post
    well i was under the asumption that the vent has to be on the outgoing side of the trap .
    The outgoing part of the " P " trap discharges to the drain on one plane and the vent is on the other plane.

- Rush

Hi,

I have a 100 yr old house and I'm working on rebuild my bathroom from the studs - I removed the old plumbings, wall, and floor. My septic tank is just right underneath my bathroom. I was wondering if I need to build the re-vent lines in order to pass the inspection. There is not a lot of room to add the vents in here.

Please advice.

Larry27mny, that pipe with the tee in your septic tank is known as the baffle. Its purpose is to direct solids under the scum layer. It prevents your sewer line from backing up from all of the solids.
    Plumbers protect the health of the Nation