+ Reply to Thread

Thread: plumbing vents?

Default plumbing vents?

hi i had a bathtub that drained fine for about a couple months in a older house new to us . recently it started draining very slow and you would only be in the shower for less than a minute to have standing water .and the kitchen sink would burp . i see on the top floor landing is a vent that goes to the roof however in the basement i think someone replaced the tub or bought the wrong one because the vent is on the one side of the wall and all the plumbing to the tub is in plain veiw and there is no vent tube hooked up . the kitchen and bathroom sink are connected into the tub drain pipe and ran out of the wall . and i dont know where from there we dug up septic several times from leaching problems only to find out that the tub and sink drains dont go into septic tank they just go out back somewhere into a drywell im guessing . anyways i am going to be doing this all over in the spring and i am just wondering if anyone has any ideas. i have a very small tank so i have to do a dry well of some sort but do i need a vent for each of the sinks and the tub and combine all of them into one ? and if so do i place them just on the outer side of the drain traps . any help is greatly appriciated thanks ..

Default Re: plumbing vents?

Quote Originally Posted by larry27mny View Post
    hi i had a bathtub that drained fine for about a couple months in a older house new to us . recently it started draining very slow and you would only be in the shower for less than a minute to have standing water .and the kitchen sink would burp . i see on the top floor landing is a vent that goes to the roof however in the basement i think someone replaced the tub or bought the wrong one because the vent is on the one side of the wall and all the plumbing to the tub is in plain veiw and there is no vent tube hooked up . the kitchen and bathroom sink are connected into the tub drain pipe and ran out of the wall . and i dont know where from there we dug up septic several times from leaching problems only to find out that the tub and sink drains dont go into septic tank they just go out back somewhere into a drywell im guessing . anyways i am going to be doing this all over in the spring and i am just wondering if anyone has any ideas. i have a very small tank so i have to do a dry well of some sort but do i need a vent for each of the sinks and the tub and combine all of them into one ? and if so do i place them just on the outer side of the drain traps . any help is greatly appriciated thanks ..
    It seems the discharge from the sinks and tub are being considered as gray water --- what to do with that I'll leave to you.
    The venting can be seperate for each sink and tub ---or ---- 2 sinks joined together with the tub seperate ---- or ---- tub and 1 sink tied together with the other sink seperate ---- or ------- all 3 can be served by the same vent ------ as long as the vent line originates outside.
    The vent line needs to be higher than the flood level of the fixture it serves and if tied to another fixture needs to be higher than the highest fixture's flood level.

Search the web for DWV and you should find a ton of information with diagrams.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: plumbing vents?

ok thankyou