+ Reply to Thread

Default Dishwasher / Rattling Pipes? What's Going On?

I'm hoping to find some help with my mystery house problem. As background - My home dates from the 1950s. Kitchen was renovated about 13 years ago, with Asko dishwasher.

About one year ago, I began to notice residual water in dishwasher. Water wouldn't be there at end of cycle, but when I'd load dishwasher next day, there would be about cup of water in bottom of dishwasher. Dishwasher connection has the high loop connection. Residual water is "sucked" out of dishwasher at beginning of each cycle, as part of the normal cycle. Dishwasher repair person looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong. He said it might be condensate from after wash OR that there might be leak in intake valve.

That's first part of problem. Starting about 6 months ago and getting progressively worse, when water is entering dishwaster during cycle, the water pipe (under sink) going to dishwasher vibrates and makes terrible rattling sound (which goes on until dishwasher water filling cycle ends). Starting last week, I can now hear pipe rattling in bedroom bathrooms and even in the basement (in association with the rattling in kitchen with the dishwasher). I've had plumbers look at this and they didn't have any idea what was going on.

I'm hoping someone here might have some thoughts, suggestions, etc!

Default Re: Dishwasher / Rattling Pipes? What's Going On?

Howdy you might want a plumber to check the water pressure in the supply main line and if you have a regulator valve it might be worn out allowing to great of pressure . for starters. Does the dishwasher discharge into the waste sewer pipe or threw your disposal?

Dishwasher repair person looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong. He said it might be condensate from after wash OR that there might be leak in intake valve.
    The repair person might be on to something.

The valve he refered to is electrically controlled ---- called a solenoid valve.
    These types of valves are quick acting and when water flows and then is quickly stopped creates a surge in the water pipe. It's this sudden surge that rattles pipes.

It may be that valve is chattering --- opening and closing several times instead of remaing open when it's supposed to which would cause surges in the pipe.
    If it's also weak it may be passing which might explain why there is the cup of standing water.

It could also be high water pressure though this should also show up with other water usage and not only when the dishwasher is used.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for replies!

Yes, plumber checked water pressure and said it was fine.

Another question - if problem is with valve, would I be hearing rattling pipes in other places in house? OR, should this "rattling" noise be limited to the kitchen? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wintersummer View Post
    Thanks for replies!

Yes, plumber checked water pressure and said it was fine.

Another question - if problem is with valve, would I be hearing rattling pipes in other places in house? OR, should this "rattling" noise be limited to the kitchen? Thanks.
    As you mentioned earlier it seemed to be noisey in the kitchen at the start and now can be heard elsewhere.
    It can be heard somewhere else since the water is surging along the run of pipe --- unless you have a manifold distribution system then all those pipes will be physically joined together with "Tees". Eventually the noise will rattle and possibly loosen the pipes further upstream.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Eventually the noise will rattle and possibly loosen the pipes further upstream.
    One question leads to another. You say "possibly loosen pipes further upstream". Does this mean there's a possibility of pipe damage (rupture?) upstream?

Here's my dilemma. The Asko dishwasher, which might have the valve leak, is 13 years old. It might be reaching end of it's life. We had a problem with the motor about a year ago and I had the motor replaced - fairly significant $$. Looking back maybe I should have just bought a new dishwasher. Repair person told me new valve would be about 300-400, with labor. So, I'm just attempting to narrow down problem to help make decision about what to do (buy new dishwasher vs. replace valve vs. something else - if this problem is not related to dishwasher).

Thanks!

One question leads to another. You say "possibly loosen pipes further upstream". Does this mean there's a possibility of pipe damage (rupture?) upstream?
    There's always a possibility of anything happening in life ---- possibly a tire falls off a plane and crashes down on your parked car.
    Rattling pipes are a result of them moving for whatever cause ---- In this case likely due to the dishwasher based on the information you provided.
    Will the pipes burst -- naw --- I highly doubt it since copper ( which I assume is what's there ) piping can withstand a fair bit of pressure.
    The only thing that * might * be an issue is how well the solder joints were done.
    * If * they are poorly done and weak then movement of the pipes * may * cause annoying leaks.
    But, I think that's over thinking and perhaps worrying too much about something that * might * happen.

Here's my dilemma. The Asko dishwasher, which might have the valve leak, is 13 years old. It might be reaching end of it's life. We had a problem with the motor about a year ago and I had the motor replaced - fairly significant $$. Looking back maybe I should have just bought a new dishwasher. Repair person told me new valve would be about 300-400, with labor. So, I'm just attempting to narrow down problem to help make decision about what to do (buy new dishwasher vs. replace valve vs. something else - if this problem is not related to dishwasher).

Thanks!
    I understand your dilema.
    Based on the information you provided the issue with noisey pipes only happens with the dishwasher filling operation and the standing water inside. It's logical to deduce since that's the only occurance of the noisey pipes and that it originally was located under the sink then some corrective action needs to be done to the dishwasher.

One other has come to mind ---- if there is a shuttoff valve for that pipe --- ensure that it's fully open. This * may be * the cause of noisey pipes. However, it wouldn't have anything to do with the standing water.

Do you replace or repair the dishwasher ? ---- that's your call. There are times when a well is a well is a well ........

Hopefully this helps.
    - Rush

Yes, there is a shut off valve. In fact, I'm getting some experience with it!

Because we've considered the dishwasher intake water valve "might" be failing, I've recently started shutting off the water line running to dishwasher - and opening it only when running dishwasher. I guess I am thinking that dishwasher valve might fail completely (during day, when we are not at home) and the small amount of water in dishwasher could turn into gallons of water. This is my insurance policy to prevent major leak problem. Might be crazy....is it? Am I?

We do turn off water supply to house when we are away for a few days.

Canuk - thanks for all your helpful questions and advice. I realize the replace vs. repair is what we face with many other things! It's been a good dishwasher, but it might just be nearing the end of life expectancy.

Yes, there is a shut off valve. In fact, I'm getting some experience with it!

Because we've considered the dishwasher intake water valve "might" be failing, I've recently started shutting off the water line running to dishwasher - and opening it only when running dishwasher. I guess I am thinking that dishwasher valve might fail completely (during day, when we are not at home) and the small amount of water in dishwasher could turn into gallons of water. This is my insurance policy to prevent major leak problem. Might be crazy....is it? Am I?

We do turn off water supply to house when we are away for a few days.

Canuk - thanks for all your helpful questions and advice. I realize the replace vs. repair is what we face with many other things! It's been a good dishwasher, but it might just be nearing the end of life expectancy.
    Crazy ?!?!? ----- not all ---- I too shut the water off when not at home for awhile --- darn good insurance that doesn't cost a penny.

Hopefully things work out.
    - Rush