+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint removal from brick?

Our 1922 home is brick first floor and shakes second floor. Previous owners painted it all! We would like to restore the brick, but unsure how to proceed. Chemical stripping an entire house sounds daunting...and we've heard sandblasting is too damaging...I read about soda blasting, but does it actually work? Any advice? Has anyone done this successfully?

Unhappy Re: Paint removal from brick?

[I] had a chimney in one room I wanted to remove the paint and plaster from. You would think stripper would do it but there are too many pores. I ended up using a hammer and chisel, then a wire brush. Got it off but looks bad I'm thinking of painting it again. GOOD LUCK.

Default Re: Paint removal from brick?

For the face of the brick, I suggest trying an automobile type grinder with a fairly coarse sanding disk. If the mortar is recessed, you could try the tool that used to remove mortar before it hardens. It has a handle, two wheels, and a sharp nail protruding which could be used to scrap away paint from the mortar.
    I bought mine at Home Depot in the masonry tool section.

BE SURE TO USE SAFETY GLASSES AND A GOOD QUALITY DUST MASK!!!

I also recommend leather gloves to protect your hands.

If you work on a ladder, be careful.

Good luck!

Default Re: Paint removal from brick?

And people wonder why so many of us shriek in horror when they mention painting over brick...

You may be better off just repainting the brick to look like brick. Paint it all whatever you want the 'mortar' color to be, then sponge 2 or 3 different colors over the brick, taking care to leave your mortar lines clean. If you use a nice rust/dusty rose/gray combination and don't over-do the blending, you can make it look like brick again in less than half the time it would take to remove the paint.
    What have you got to lose?