+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Oil stains keep coming back!

I recently moved into a home where the previous owners splashed baby oil on the walls in several areas in my bathroom. Some areas are good sized stains. I tried painting over the stains with an oil based Kilz and waited several day to make sure it was good and dry. I then repainted the walls. Well, after approximately one week, the stain bled through the Kilz and paint. I did this process twice and both times, it bled through. Does anyone know of a solution aside from resheetrocking my walls??? Thanks so much!

Default Re: Oil stains keep coming back!

My two cents = ........using the oil-based Kilz was a mistake, me thinks.

Baby oil is non-drying/hardening. When you apply an oil-based product over that, the BO just leaches up into it. Now the BO is back close to the surface where it leaches into your topcoat and/or spoils the bond of a latex topcoat.

You could try using BIN (white-pigmented shellac product), or just plain old shellac as your sealer (not primer). Then prime, then paint. However, I *think* the alcohol contained in the BIN or any other shellac product will also dissolve and leach the BO back to the surface.

I've had excellent success on similar problems using aluminum paint as the sealer. Wash the affected area first with some TSP, rinse well and allow to dry. Would suggest getting the aluminum paint in a rattle-can and spraying two or even three coats over the problem area. (Same rattle-can suggestion holds true if you decide to try the shellac instead.) If you brush or roll the sealer on, you increase the odds of working/massaging the offending material back up and into the sealer coat. (Wait for drying between coats, of course.) Then prime over the aluminum paint. (Might take two applications of primer to get a good coverage.) Then paint. Cross your fingers.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 07-25-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks so much for the reply. I was actually told by Lowes to use the Oil based Kilz. UGH! I will try your suggestion. It surely can't hurt. Thanks so much!!!

You're welcome.

I hope it works. Have my fingers crossed,too.

As is the case with most stains, it's best to try to remove the problem before trying to cover it up. Once it's been removed to the best of your ability, then you stain block it, then paint - just for future reference.

I think that ****ie has you on the right track at this point. Good luck and please report back how things go.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes, but how in the world do you remove baby oil?

Quote Originally Posted by nytngirl View Post
    Yes, but how in the world do you remove baby oil?
    Before it was painted, a strong solution of TSP would have knocked it back a fair bit.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question Re: Oil stains keep coming back!

It was already a painted wall in my bathroom. I appreciate all your advise. I do think though that it's probably too late to try and get the BO off the wall and concentrate on trying to somehow seal it and repaint it.

Cool Re: Oil stains keep coming back!

Hi Guys...

Sounds goofy, but Dawn dish-soap breaks up oils very well!
    Use just a little bit in a warm water solution. Rinse a few times with a sponge & clean water.

Next, get some powdered (NOT the spray version!!) Dirtex cleaner. A small box is ~ $2.50. Mix up a solution and wash ALL the walls in the room.
    The neat thing about the powdered Dirtex...it doesn't need rinsing...unless your walls are very dirty!!

The primer I'd use when walls have dried a day, is the BIN Shellac-based primer from Zinssser. Smelly...but very good!!
    Nothing will come through this primer now.

Faron