+ Reply to Thread

Default Seeking a New Look to Old Shingle Siding

My twenty-five-plus year old unfinished shingle siding is in very good condition but discolored, weathered and water-stained in areas.

This Hawaiian beauty deserves a natural look, but the existing siding devalues the property and looks dreary.

As far as I know, my refinishing options are:

a. Sandblast and hope for the best, deal with the mess
    b. Apply attractive paint-grade stain & hope it covers
    c. Apply paint; natural tones & hope it looks "natural"

Because of the large square footage and complex multi-story construction, any option will be difficult and possibly costly. Obviously, I hope to avoid something that requires redoing every year or two...

I really need help for this massive do-it yourself project. Ideas anyone?

Aloha.

Default Re: Seeking a New Look to Old Shingle Siding

Hawaiian,

If indeed there is no finish on your shingles, try using a wood cleaner such as Behrs 2-in-1 Cleaner. This is basically oxylic acid which painters have used for years to bleach out wood. It should get rid of stains and graying , returning the original color of the wood. You can spray this solution on your shingles with a pressurized garden sprayer. It is left on and kept wet with the solution for about 20 minutes. A little physical agitation with a scrubbrush helps remove the old grayed wood fibers. A power washer will aid in cleaning the wood, but be careful not to get too aggressive and chew up the wood. Try to hit the shingles with a slight downward angle so as to not lift them or force water under them.

I am from the old school. For a natural look, I would try applying a natural oil transparent or semi-transparent finish. There are many good ones: Sikkens, Cabot's, Penefin etc. Generally, the more pigment the more protection from the sun's UV rays and the longer life. These products do require periodic maintenance coats.

Wink Re: Seeking a New Look to Old Shingle Siding

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian B&B View Post
    My twenty-five-plus year old unfinished shingle siding is in very good condition but discolored, weathered and water-stained in areas.

This Hawaiian beauty deserves a natural look, but the existing siding devalues the property and looks dreary.

As far as I know, my refinishing options are:

a. Sandblast and hope for the best, deal with the mess
    b. Apply attractive paint-grade stain & hope it covers
    c. Apply paint; natural tones & hope it looks "natural"

Because of the large square footage and complex multi-story construction, any option will be difficult and possibly costly. Obviously, I hope to avoid something that requires redoing every year or two...

I really need help for this massive do-it yourself project. Ideas anyone?

Aloha.
    Try Rhinoshield. It lasts forever and comes in a multitude of colors however, none are natural. I used it 10 years ago on my cedar shake home and it is still like new. I had one minor issue and the company came out in one day and fixed it. I could not be happier. I just wonder if it will continue on for its lifetime warrantee. Who knows? Doc Lloyd