+ Reply to Thread

Default basement water seepage

I have a problem with water seepage at the bottom of the the well water equipment is connected (that's another story, we have a well pump, water softener, ph neurtralizer and nitrate filtration system !). Anyway, back to the main problem. The bottom portion of the wall for about 10 feet length and 10 inches high, always looked moist, but we never had any water dripping in. But we had an unusually hbasement wall. It is in the corner of the basement where all eavy downpour and my husband (the unhandy man) pointed out that a little stream of water was coming in between the cinder blocks, about 1 inch above the cement floor. Since then, it has never dried up.
    I had new gutters and downspouts put in, they run to an underground drainage pipe. Also on that side are the 2 central A/C units. The ground slopes towards the house. But here's the issue, we haven't had any rain in 2 weeks and the problem is still going on, still seepage. Now I noticed the wet area on the wall is expanding.
    Before I get someone out that wants to seal the basement, I believe I need to know where the water is coming from. It can't be rainwater since there has been no rain. I live at the top of a mountain, but I did hear there were underground streams in the area.
    My question is, if we plug the hole which is very tiny and seal the wall wouldn't it just force through another way? Someone mentioned to me that they heard of a method where they pump a filler/sealer around the foundation. Has anyone heard of that?
    All take any suggestions and professional advice. I don't want to get ripped off, I just want to solve the problem.
    Thanks,
    Peggy

Default Re: basement water seepage

You are correct, you need to find the source of the water and correct that issue, not the symptom.

Two possible sources come to my mind that you can check.

One, where are the condensate lines for the AC units? Do they allow the AC "drippage" to soak into the ground right next to the outside units? They can create a lot of water which may be running right down the exterior of the block wall and into your basement.

Two, where does your water line come into the basement? I am assuming it would be on that wall since that is where the treatment equipment is. Maybe a leak has developed in the line running from your well to the house and the water is showing up in your basement.

Hope this helps you start to identify the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by peggyk View Post
    It is in the corner of the basement where all eavy downpour and my husband (the unhandy man) pointed out that a little stream of water was coming in between the cinder blocks, about 1 inch above the cement floor. Since then, it has never dried up.

The ground slopes towards the house. But here's the issue, we haven't had any rain in 2 weeks and the problem is still going on, still seepage. Now I noticed the wet area on the wall is expanding.
    Before I get someone out that wants to seal the basement, I believe I need to know where the water is coming from. It can't be rainwater since there has been no rain. I live at the top of a mountain, but I did hear there were underground streams in the area.
    It sounds like part of the problem is the ground slopes toward the house. If you slope the grade away surrounding the house this will helps preventing water running in through the foundation. Block walls will become saturated and eventually leak especially if there are any holes or cracks in the mortar.

I don't know if an underground stream is the problem since you probably would have water coming through the basement floor as well.

Thank you bp21901 & bsum1.
    It's definitely not where the well water comes in, because that's on the other side. Also, I had checked the A/C drainage, and it's inside the house. My neighbor came over and thought it was the grade, as you suggested. The problem is that the 2 A/C are sunken, so they will have to be raised about a foot and then the ground can be graded.