+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: electric bill is killing me

So what's your rate? Mine's 11.8 cents/kwh. Then add another $78 for misc. "charges".
    The gas portion of my bill was only $17.
    I used a total of 2363 kwh to cool my house, pump water & bathe 3 teenagers.
    Last edited by ed21; 08-22-2008 at 10:25 PM.

& bath 3 teenagers.

Yup. Right there is the culprit.

Those multiple 1 hour showers are a killer.

Have you considered auctioning them off on E-Bay?
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-22-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    So what's your rate? Mine's 11.8 cents/kwh. Then add another $78 for misc. "charges".
    The gas portion of my bill was only $17.
    I used a total of 2363 kwh to cool my house, pump water & bathe 3 teenagers.

6.216 cents/kwh plus $7.00 service sharge . It's an electric co-op . They have a long term power contract with a generating company and there is no " energy charge " added in .

Quote Originally Posted by jem3 View Post
    Long Island. electic bill is $385 a month and I heat with oil. They just added a sur charge ( they did not raise the rate. They just added a sur charge of $350.

I have a new electric hot water heater. Is there a switch or a timer that could be put on so I am not heating water all night and all day when one one is home?
    I suppose it might be possible that your new water heater has an issue, was installed improperly, or was grosly undersized, but I would suspect time of year cooling appliances first for the majority of your electrical usage.

If you have been on a fixed monthly payment plan with a utility and your actual usage has exceeded the plan amount, it is not unusual to receive a demand bill when your accumulated usage has exceeded the projected budgeted amount. With high A/C usage, and if this was your first summer in the home or if this season your usage was higher than your past history (hotter/more humid summer?) a settlement or demand bill would not be unusual this time of year. It would also not be unusual for them to recalculate your monthly contribution so that you would accumulate a credit balance during the winter season so you would have a significant credit balance in the budget account before next summer so you would avoid large demand or settlement bills during the next cooling season. Compare the actual electrical usage with the history for previous cooling seasons not just the total cost of the bill as the prices charged may have increased. If you find your usage has increased beyond explanation due to changing weather patterns for the compared periods, consider that your A/C systems may be in need of service, refrigerator/freezers may inefficiently operating perhaps requiring cleaning, charging or a bad door seal, and your electric water heater may require service or maintenance. You might also examine other areas of electrical usage, modern electronics consume large amounts of electricity even when they are supposedly off but plugged in.

I note that according to the US DOE Energy Information Administration that the average residential cost per KWH in NY State is about 17 cents a KWH (up almost a full cent from last year) not including delivery or metering charges, but have no idea what you personal pay in Long Island to the LIPA. I wouldn't be concerned about comparisons or comments from where the prices are a less than a third of what you pay for the energy, your actual measured consumption is what would be comparitive based on your usage paterns, type of construction, the weather patterns and the efficiency of your equipment.

You might find information at the department of energy site and other resources on the web useful to help you diagnose your energy hogs, and help you decide what investments and changes you might make to help reduce your consumption and ultimately your bills. Perhaps you might qualify to participate in a demand load cycling type reduced metering system for your A/C? sometimes this can reduce the rate that is charged for the electric just for the A/C unit, it allows the power company to sort of power down or schedule your A/C during times of peak demand.

Post script: Although you mentioned you heat with oil you didn't indicate if you are using steam or water based heat or a forced air furnace (much less efficient than hydronic system). Both may still require electric to operate (fan to force the air or intake and exaust fans for the combustion/drafting and possibly pumps). If you have a boiler for water based or steam heat you might want to consider an alternative for water heating connected to that system.
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 08-23-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Welcome back Leslie .

A lot of times there will be a fuel surcharge added to the bill
    to cover the increase in natural gas , fuel oil , etc .
    These fuel prices will fluctuate wildly as we have seen with the oil market . The various state public utility commissions will allow utilities to pass on these increases rather than go through the hassle of rate changes . They are not additional profit for the utility . Another reason to go nuclear .

It seems to me that everything out on the east coast is absurdly expensive.

Last winter there were numerous posts here and on other boards from folks out east concerning the cost of heating oil. I don't recall exactly what they were paying per gallon, but I do remember that it was about 50% more than were paying here.

I'd be packin' the buckboard, harnessing the horses and headed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jem3 View Post
    Long Island. electic bill is $385 a month and I heat with oil. They just added a sur charge ( they did not raise the rate. They just added a sur charge of $350.

I have a new electric hot water heater. Is there a switch or a timer that could be put on so I am not heating water all night and all day when one one is home?

I just installed a tankless water heater. The cost is about the same as a regular heater but the cost of operation is less than half. The best price is on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by rich386@alltel.net View Post
    I just installed a tankless water heater. The cost is about the same as a regular heater but the cost of operation is less than half. The best price is on ebay.
    You have to watch out for eBay stuff. Sometimes best price isn't the way to go.
    Most or all contractors I know refuse to install customer's appliances. It has something to do with warranty / guarantee issue.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

9 chances outta 10 the circut breaker is taking up most of the money. go to it and turn off the stuff never used. it saved my husband and myself 35 dollars every month