+ Reply to Thread

Default "Tile in" Sink for DIY Granite Countertops?

My husband and I are about to tackle a do-it-yourself installation of granite countertops as seen on the DIY network. My question is about our sink. We have a very expensive, oversize Kohler cast iron sink that we would like to keep. The problem is that it is a "tile in" sink, not a drop in or an undermount. Is there any way that we can install this sink with the granite slab and mount it flush as it is supposed to be by working with the underlying durarock or mounting options? It is a shame to get rid of this beautiful sink that is in great shape, just the wrong mounting type for granite. I would appreciate any ideas!

Default Re: "Tile in" Sink for DIY Granite Countertops?

My guess is that you can turn that flush mount sink into an undermount sink with little to no problem, which is typical of stone countertops. If you wish to maintain it as a flush mount, then your stone provider will need to rabbit the stone to the shape and depth to accept the sink. If it were me, I'd opt for the under mount as when that sink does deteriorate, you'll be able to replace it without worry of fit/finish problems.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!