+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing tricks for an exterior wall without removing junction box.

I've got two outlets on an exterior wall that I am replacing the wiring to them (old NM without ground). The wire will come up from the basement to the box (which cannot be easily removed). On the other outlets I've done on an exterior wall, I've removed the baseboard and cut a hole in the wall at the bottom to help fish the wire. The two that will present problems are within a built in cabinet, such that I don't have access to the baseboard, or anywhere close, to help fish the wire. Are there any suggestions for fishing the wire from the small hole in the basement to the small hole in the junction box through loose gray insulation?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Default Re: Fishing tricks for an exterior wall without removing junction box.

If the two holes are in reasonable alignment, then a probe that will reach from one point to the other will poke through the insulation, simply tape a pull string to the probe once it's through and pull the string back. Once the string is in place you attach the wire to the string and pull it back.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You say you're replacing old wiring, why don't you just use the old wires to pull the new wire in?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You say you're replacing old wiring, why don't you just use the old wires to pull the new wire in?
    Jack
    Because they're probably stapled to the framing. Just a guess ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Old Fiberglass fishing pole will work. Cut off the eyelets. then tie a string to it and then pullit back out out. then you can pull in the new wire
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    Old Fiberglass fishing pole will work. Cut off the eyelets. then tie a string to it and then pullit back out out. then you can pull in the new wire
    That's exactly what I was thinking ... scarey ...
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Well....I'd be using a fish-tape I suspect. Two people would be helpful, of course. One at each location for communication purposes. Use VA headsets if you can't easily hear one another.

Or....tie string to tail of mouse in basement, place piece of odoriferous cheese (blue cheese, limburger, etc) on trap in upper junction box. Then wait.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-22-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    If the two holes are in reasonable alignment, then a probe that will reach from one point to the other will poke through the insulation, simply tape a pull string to the probe once it's through and pull the string back. Once the string is in place you attach the wire to the string and pull it back.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I originally was practicing this method using fish tape on other exterior wall outlets, but I eventually gave up and removed the baseboard to help me out. Unfortunately, I don't have this option on these two particular outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Jack
    The house was built in the mid to late forties with 2 conductor fabric NM wiring. It is run horizontally through the walls, and it is almost impossible to pull through. I've not found any staples anywhere, its just that the holes the wire goes through are just big enough for the wire, and they are drilled at slight angles, instead of straight, making it even tougher to pull, especially when it turns a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    ... Or....tie string to tail of mouse in basement, place piece of odoriferous cheese (blue cheese, limburger, etc) on trap in upper junction box. Then wait.
    Why didn't I think of that!
    Last edited by oryan_dunn; 08-22-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Well, I successfully have run the wire to the two outlets. The first, I drilled a hole directly below the outlet, measured from a cold air return vent visible from both the room and basement. I just stuck the fish tape through the junction box hole and took just a few seconds of poking around the find the hole I drilled. The second was a bit more challenging. I didn't really have anything (I thought) that I could base my drill location on. I drilled a hole, and after about a half hour of poking around, I decided to drill another hole. After another half hour, I decided to see if I could get a better measurement. I didn't realize, the window in the basement lined up perfectly with the window on the first floor. After I got my measurements straigtened out, I drilled a thrid hole, and this time, it took several seconds of poking around to get the fish tape through.

I guess the moral of the story is to make sure you have the proper hole location, and the fish tape part will be relatively simple.

Now, to Home Depot to get some expanding foam to fill my oopses.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Or....tie string to tail of mouse in basement, place piece of odoriferous cheese (blue cheese, limburger, etc) on trap in upper junction box. Then wait.
    Sounds like what you would get if you crossed a Tom & Jerry cartoon with an episode of This Old House...