+ Reply to Thread

Default High Kitchen drain

1920 Chicago Condo.

Our kitchen sink drain is about 24" off the floor as opposed to the standard 18".

We are having the kitchen cabinets replaced and the installer is making noise about needing us to move that down.

1) Is he just whining or is there a legit reason to lower a sink drain?
    2) Is this a horrible task? Should we expect to have to move the neighbor's drain down since we share a wall?

Default Re: High Kitchen drain

I rough in my kitchen drains about 15 or 16 inches from the finished floor. But the highth depends on the finished floor heighth and the depth of the kitchen sink basin. If a 2 compartment and different size bowls then I go with the deeper bowl. Another factor I consider is if they are using a batch fed disposal since this type has a typically lower outlet. Even though you share a wall with your neighbor your plumbing should be separate from your neighbor. Even if it is then the plumber should be able to provide an opening without relocating your neighbors.

You don't "have" to lower it but if you have a 36"fff ( from finishished floor) countertop heighth and its say granite and you install a 10" deep under mount sink and then install a garbage disposal you will have water standing in your disposal all the time

Default Re: High Kitchen drain

i agree with i.m,the drain should be about 16" off the floor,if it is a common drain with your neighbor it shouldnt be a big deal to cap off your drain and add a "ty" below that to get you to the proper rough in height