+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVC and CPVC

Lightbulb PVC and CPVC

I was watching todays episode on leaking plumbing. It was stated that PVC was only to be used for waste water and that CPVC was the only one used for fresh water plumbing. Unless your codes are different back east, PVC is rated for fresh water (along with CPVC, which is must be used for hot water, but can be used for cold), and ABS (rigid black plastic) is to be used for waste water. We have been using PVC for fresh water here in Oregon for a number of years.
    Thank you for your time.

Default Re: PVC and CPVC

I caught that statement as well...agreed. Smaller diameter PVC (up to 2") can typically be used for cold water supply to the house. Once inside, I believe code restricts the use of PVC for pressure lines, and this is where the CPVC comes in. PVC also cannot be used on hot water lines. I know that here in Texas, PVC lines are used for the line from the meter to the house, where it changes to a different material (copper and/or pex in this region) and for irrigation lines. Larger diameter PVC is used for the waste lines around here, but some older homes have ABS.

I agree with the pvc fresh water what I don't understand is why can you use it from meter to house but not the rest of the way it has a 600 psi pressure rating.

Quote Originally Posted by jdweger View Post
    I was watching todays episode on leaking plumbing. It was stated that PVC was only to be used for waste water and that CPVC was the only one used for fresh water plumbing. Unless your codes are different back east, PVC is rated for fresh water (along with CPVC, which is must be used for hot water, but can be used for cold), and ABS (rigid black plastic) is to be used for waste water. We have been using PVC for fresh water here in Oregon for a number of years.
    Thank you for your time.
    Does your codes permit pvc threw out the whole house in Oregon or just from the meter to the home, I was watching the same episode and I thought the same as you, I'm in California I know they used pvc to the house here then went and tied in to the galvanised pipe which is the worst.Just curious about the codes there.Thanks