+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy toilet flange bolts

My toilet was leaking replaced the wax seal however one of the old bolts broke off as I tried to remove it. it seems to glued to the bottom of the flange and won't come out. How can I reset the toilet?

Default Re: toilet flange bolts

Quote Originally Posted by mb50 View Post
    My toilet was leaking replaced the wax seal however one of the old bolts broke off as I tried to remove it. it seems to glued to the bottom of the flange and won't come out. How can I reset the toilet?
    The "glue" you speak off most likely is a small amount the wax seal that was crushed down into the opening that holds the "Johnny Bolts" upright before you set the toilet. It will take a bit of digging but you should be able the clean up the residual wax, thus freeing the bolt.

I tried cleaning out the area I even took a screwdriver and hammer to it to try to lossen it up. The old bolt won't budge. So I tried leaving it in, I tried putting a new bolt next to it but can't tighten toilet down tight enough without the bolt going crooked.

If the flange is in a concrete floor, the bolt may be embedded in some concrete, so you would need to chisel it free. I would guess you have already tried putting a large screwdriver vertical along side of the bolt and hammer against the side of the screwdriver. Be persistent and it should come free.