+ Reply to Thread

Default Flushing problem, have to hold the handle down for several seconds?

My husband fixed a running toilet, but now we have to hold the handle down for several seconds to get a full flush. If the handle is pushed down and let go right away, it stops the flush from finishing. Seems like this should be an easy fix, any suggestions?

Default Re: Flushing problem, have to hold the handle down for several seconds?

Shorten the chain from the handle to the flapper.

I have the same issue, and I can't shorten the chain any shorter. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by odd_artist View Post
    I have the same issue, and I can't shorten the chain any shorter. Any other suggestions?
    Is the tank filling completely ?

Yes, the tank is filling completely. And I even replaced the flapper and float. Could it have anything to do with low water pressure, or would the full tank make that a moot point?

Move the float down on the chain, there should be a clip on the top and the bottom of the float.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Found the solution! We also had replaced the flapper with a universal flapper. There is a ring and places for it to hook on. Turns out that if you are using the hooks, you must remove the rubber ring. All we did was cut off the ring, reattach the flapper using the hooks, and it works perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by odd_artist View Post
    Yes, the tank is filling completely. And I even replaced the flapper and float. Could it have anything to do with low water pressure, or would the full tank make that a moot point?

Ahh - if only everything could be solved so easily..
    Good work!

HoffDNA thanks for getting back to us.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb