+ Reply to Thread

Default Do we need to insulate vented crawl space ceiling

We just bought our first home. This house is a back drop split, built in 1955. The thing is that the crawl space ceiling is not insulated. The rooms above are the living, dinning and kitchen. The crawl space has vents to the outside. What I want to know is:
    Firstly, Do we need to insulate the crawl space ceiling; how much a difference does it makeómeaning insulating it, and in what way.
    Secondly, since itís a vented crawl space do we need to insulate the side walls also or not?
    A little off the topic is that the laundry roomís outer wall is of concrete bricks that were just painted over. It is kind of an unfinished room. Rest of the walls in that room is finished. Beside the washer dryer unit, the boiler unit is also in that room. Question is do I need to insulate that outer wall also, how can it affect us if we donít do it this year. (We plan to eventually do it but our budget doesnít allow us to do it for now. How much not fixing these problems will affect our heating bill, is the question)
    Please note that I live in NJ and in winter it gets really cold.
    Any comments will be helpful!!!
    Thank you!!!

Pics:

Default Re: Do we need to insulate vented crawl space ceiling

being your house is 1955 your exterior walls are probable open to spray foam and pour foam would do wonders for you airtight foam does wounders i just had it done today they work very clean

Default Re: Do we need to insulate vented crawl space ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by Cannotdo View Post
    We just bought our first home. This house is a back drop split, built in 1955. The thing is that the crawl space ceiling is not insulated. The rooms above are the living, dinning and kitchen. The crawl space has vents to the outside. What I want to know is:
    Firstly, Do we need to insulate the crawl space ceiling; how much a difference does it makeómeaning insulating it, and in what way.
    Secondly, since itís a vented crawl space do we need to insulate the side walls also or not?
    A little off the topic is that the laundry roomís outer wall is of concrete bricks that were just painted over. It is kind of an unfinished room. Rest of the walls in that room is finished. Beside the washer dryer unit, the boiler unit is also in that room. Question is do I need to insulate that outer wall also, how can it affect us if we donít do it this year. (We plan to eventually do it but our budget doesnít allow us to do it for now. How much not fixing these problems will affect our heating bill, is the question)
    Please note that I live in NJ and in winter it gets really cold.
    Any comments will be helpful!!!
    Thank you!!!

Pics:

It should be a noticable difference during the winter if you insulate the underside of the floor.
    If the vents are simply openings to outside for your crawl space then insulating the walls for the crawl space wouldn't really do anything for you. If you can afford spray foam then that would be a good way to go.
    Otherwise you can use fiberglass bat insulation to fill the spaces between the joists.
    I've read on the forum a couple of things to cover the bat insulation.
    One thing was after filling the spaces between the joists was to attach rigid sheets of foam to the underside. If you don't do that then use Tyvek to cover the bat insulation. Don't use plastic to cover the insulation because it will trap moisture in the insulation and cause other problems.
    If the floor of the crawl space is dirt you should cover that completely wih plastic to prevent moisture coming up from the ground.