+ Reply to Thread

Default Black stringy mold inside tub faucet

How do I clean inside of faucet?

I live on the 14th floor of a high-rise in New York City---I have noticed a mold smell coming from bathroom. I have run water used drain cleaner and still have the odor. When I pulled out the sink stopper it was covered with black mold I soaked it in Clorox and that did the job on that drain. Today I turned on the tub and black stringy mold (looked like a plant) came out of the faucet. I was able to get a small tooth brush up a small part of faucet and seems the whole inside is covered with thick black mold.

no fan or window in this room

Default Re: Black stringy mold inside tub faucet

Do you own or rent, if you rent call the landlord. If you own call a plumber, especially since you say it's inside the supply end. Talk to your neighbors and see if they're having the same problem. There may be something that can be installed inline so you can treat the water. I have two inline water filters that I put in my house, maybe you could put something like that in and use it to run some type of cleaner through your system. Put a ball valve on either side of the filter, close them off, take the bottom off and dump it out, put the cleaner in and put the bottom back on, open ball valves and run it through for a while.

Putting anything in your water distribution system is very illegal. Don't do it and don't suggest anyone else does.
    This is called a cross connection!
    Your building may use a storage tank that is contaminated or any number of other possibilities contact your building superintendent.
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by plumbinghelp.ca View Post
    Putting anything in your water distribution system is very illegal. Don't do it and don't suggest anyone else does.
    This is called a cross connection!
    Your building may use a storage tank that is contaminated or any number of other possibilities contact your building superintendent.
    So they don't have anything for water treatment???

Of course there are chemicals to treat water; chlorine for one, but this not for home owners to attempt. If there was a backflow condition with chemicals in this persons water line it could come out into a 4 year old's glass of water on a lower floor for example.
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by plumbinghelp.ca View Post
    Of course there are chemicals to treat water; chlorine for one, but this not for home owners to attempt. If there was a backflow condition with chemicals in this persons water line it could come out into a 4 year old's glass of water on a lower floor for example.
    Thanks for the Information, do they make a delivery system for the chlorine and would it have to be installed after the hot water heater, this way the water heater wouldn't have to be flushed out.
    Thanks again