+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default Heating and cooling

    I have a 4 seasons room 400sqft built on a deck/floor and ceiling are insulated. Walls may be insulated. 9 double paned windows. Will be putting a wood laminate floor in it. We are looking for a heating and ac solution. We have 120 and 220 and gas out there. We have a wall mounted heater that we used one year but its ventless and had to much fumes and had to keep a window cracked to get fresh air. The room joins the main house in line with the furnace in the basement. One solution was to run heat runs from the basement out to the room. But I have been told that I would need 3 or 4 runs into that room. Basement is finished. My other option I'm told is to put a small furnace in the room and run another line to the ac. I have looked into electric baseboard heating not sure that would be cost effective to use. Heat pumps and packaged systems? Limited budget (less than $1500). I'm not opposed to a stand alone window ac for cooling. Your help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: Heating and cooling

    $1500.00 is kind of stretching it and depending on your location I would have a Ductless Heat Pump put in. The further north you go the less heat they're able to draw out of the outside air, keyword Ductless Heat Pump Reviews and you'll get a Boatload of info.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Heating and cooling

    Quote Originally Posted by scottd186 View Post
    I have a 4 seasons room 400sqft built on a deck/floor and ceiling are insulated. Walls may be insulated. 9 double paned windows. Will be putting a wood laminate floor in it. We are looking for a heating and ac solution. We have 120 and 220 and gas out there. We have a wall mounted heater that we used one year but its ventless and had to much fumes and had to keep a window cracked to get fresh air. The room joins the main house in line with the furnace in the basement. One solution was to run heat runs from the basement out to the room. But I have been told that I would need 3 or 4 runs into that room. Basement is finished. My other option I'm told is to put a small furnace in the room and run another line to the ac. I have looked into electric baseboard heating not sure that would be cost effective to use. Heat pumps and packaged systems? Limited budget (less than $1500). I'm not opposed to a stand alone window ac for cooling. Your help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Depending on the size of the furnace * if * it can accomodate the extra sq. footage would be more in line with your budget --- otherwise electric baseboard heating or gas fireplace might be another options.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: Heating and cooling

    Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Depending on the size of the furnace * if * it can accomodate the extra sq. footage would be more in line with your budget --- otherwise electric baseboard heating or gas fireplace might be another options.
    I agree with the electric base board but with a furnace comes ductwork and added expense. If there 400 sq. ft 4 season porch is well insulated they could probably get a way with between 9000 and 12000 BTU's of heating. The cost for a ductless in this range starts at under $1000.00, follow the links for more info.

    http://www.nextag.com/split-air-cond...mp/stores-html
    http://www.ductlessdepot.net/products-btu-13.html

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Heating and cooling

    * If * the room is well insulated and opens into the rest of the home it may share the existing conditioning from the HVAC ---- so it really isn't counted as a seperate room requiring the 9000 - 12000 btu's .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: Heating and cooling

    Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    * If * the room is well insulated and opens into the rest of the home it may share the existing conditioning from the HVAC ---- so it really isn't counted as a seperate room requiring the 9000 - 12000 btu's .
    If, If, If, OMG Canuck, has it come to this LOL. I'll bet we can agree on one thing, not enough info. Then again maybe not

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Heating and cooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    If, If, If, OMG Canuck, has it come to this LOL. I'll bet we can agree on one thing, not enough info. Then again maybe not
    LOL ---- yep
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Heating and cooling

    Thanks for the suggestions. My 4 season rm is separeted from the main house by a slider. I think a ductless or electric baseboard is good options. I came across electric baseboard system at Lowes the other day. It was just so inexpensive (75 for a 2500 watt unit), it just made me wonder.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Heating and cooling

    Ductless Heat Pump? a boatload of information is an understatement. No immeidate name brands. sanyo, Mitsubishi, baxi, climaxstar,FUJITSU. I guess I have my work cut out for me. Once again thanks for all the suggestions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: Heating and cooling

    Quote Originally Posted by scottd186 View Post
    Ductless Heat Pump? a boatload of information is an understatement. No immeidate name brands. sanyo, Mitsubishi, baxi, climaxstar,FUJITSU. I guess I have my work cut out for me. Once again thanks for all the suggestions.


    Keep in mind that with the Electric Baseboard you won't get the A/C

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •