+ Reply to Thread

Question Is cutting up a Cast Iron Tub the easiest way to remove one?

I am looking for what is the best way to remove a cast iron tub? being they are very heavy and getting it out of a bath room whole might be a job in it self I am wondering what is the best way to cut one up and get it out if there is a way to cut one into pieces. I am looking at my options being I need to replace the tub and refinishing is an option but I am looking for a long term resolution. I can afford a contractor to do the bath room remodel so I am trying to get information so I can do it myself. I know that some or all of the tile will have to be removed as well as some of the plaster to get the tub out but being it is a task that will take many to carry it out and I am the only person here I am wondering if it can be cut in to managable pieces to get it out. I am also thinking of gutting the bath room walls of plaster and the widnow and doing it all at one project wall and floor tile etc and getting it done though it will take a few weekends to do most of it I am a very limited budget. Not experts I know that can help so I am looking for advice and information before I start it???

Thanks in Advance.

MMeehan

Default Re: Is cutting up a Cast Iron Tub the easiest way to remove one?

Safety goggles, long sleeve shirt and a big sledge hammer!

I agree, cutting a cast iron tub is not practical. A good sledge hammer will get the job done pretty quickly. Of course if the tub is an old claw foot tub it would be worth your while getting it out in one piece and selling it. Could be worth some money. You could put it on line for sale and tell the person they need to bring a bunch of people to get it out.

Yup! Sledgehammer! Fastest, easiest way to reduce to pieces for removal.

You'll want to get the toilet out of the way first if you want to reuse it, you'd be surprised how "bouncy" cast iron can be, sending that sledge right into the much more brittle toilet, and no, I've never, ever, never ever done that! Ok, there was this one time, but that's it! Honest!!!!

As previously said, safety glasses, better yet is a face shield, wear long thick sleeves and hearing protection and gloves are a must.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, I see whole tubs out on the street and wonder just how they get it out. Most bath rooms are only 7 ft deep by 5 ft wide and the tub is along the outside wall, right next to it is the toliet and then a small sink/vanity (17 x 21) and the door opening is only 26 inches wide...

Thus my reason how to cut it, not much room to be swinging a sledge hammer in such a small area. I guess it is like cutting the cast iron drain pipe when I had to replace it because it rotted through as well as the clean out at the cement floor that had missing threads and had to break up the floor and cut it and put a short new pvc to replace what was there... Finding a blade for the sawxall was a long time till I found one that would do the job...

Thanks for the information looks like it is going to be a big project once I get it started... But such is life these days...

MMeehan

Quote Originally Posted by MMeehan View Post
    Thanks, I see whole tubs out on the street and wonder just how they get it out. Most bath rooms are only 7 ft deep by 5 ft wide and the tub is along the outside wall, right next to it is the toliet and then a small sink/vanity (17 x 21) and the door opening is only 26 inches wide...
    This is the very reason that breaking up the tub is the preferred choice of removal. Cast tubs are heavy, so even if you've got the room, which most people don't, the tub is difficult to remove. Many times the door is the problem area - too narrow to fit the tub through.

Before you demo, make sure that whatever you're replacing it with can fit through the door.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yep sizes are going to be an important thing to watch. The tub that is there now is 60 l x 17 t x 30.5 w. So getting something close looks to be a non issue from what I have looked at. Steel tub is what I am looking at and yes everything is going to come out toliet, sink/vanity going to try and do the tile floor and walls, a new window and maybe even gutting all the walls and replace with drywall and maybe even the ceiling. A lot of things to look at that why I am in the planning stages. Wished I could put a shower in the basement first but no $$ to do that so it will be challenging project but if I am going to possible sell this house I need to get this done being the tub is in bad shape.

Limited budget means doing all the work myself but these days that is just the way it goes...

Appreciate your information ASpruce...

MMeehan

Your welcome.

You say "sell the house", was this an investment property or is life just going in a different direction? The reason I ask is that major renovation costs are rarely ever recouped, even in the best of housing markets. With your limited budget, I would recommend keeping the renovation to a minimum unless you'll be in the house for at least another 5 years or the renovation is being done for yourself, be damned the cost.

I remember you asking about tub refinishing. This is a significantly less costly way to go about a "new" tub if the tub is in decent shape and only in need of a new finish. Also, depending on the condition of the walls, it isn't necessary to pull the vanity to do the floor, further reducing your expenses. Just some options to think about when budgets and time constraints loom.