+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement insulation

We have a poured foundation and I'm in the process of replacing the 2x3 walls around the perimeter. I'd like to tighten up the house a bit and get the maximum R value in the walls. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to erect 2x4 walls and inch or two from the cement and then have spray foam insulation put in? The idea of paying for 2x6's to do the whole basement isn't very high on my list of fun things to do. Should I put in some 2x6's to maintain the spacing from the wall? Should I put up plastic sheet, or would the foam adhere better to the cement? It has been painted in the past, but has peeled in many areas.

Default Re: Basement insulation

As a foam contractor, I have done this a number of times.The gap is good as you will get continuopus coverage. In order for insulation to be of value, you need to have a continous air barrier.Doors and windows and other penetrations to the outdoors need to be completely sealed. Use closed cell foam as open cell foam will allow moisture to migrate through it. Don't put up plastic sheeting. The foam will stick to the paint as long as the paint sticks to the wall. Some peeling paint will be OK. The foam will be kept in place by sticking to the studs. You will need to cover the foam for fire protection with 1/2 inch drywall.

Default Re: Basement insulation

Thanks for the confirmation that this would work. I'm also planning to tighten up the rest of the house, possibly adding 2 inches to the walls from the inside and redoing the insulation there with foam too. Now I just need to win the lottery to pay for all of these grand schemes.

Garrett