+ Reply to Thread

Default living, dining and kitchen tile for area

We bought a house that had the same white tile throughout the kitchen, living room and hallway. The kitchen and living room are one big room. We added a dining room to the area and the tile (15 3/4 inch white tile with texture) is discontinued. My husband wants to save time and money by putting in different tile in the dining room, hallway and connecting bathroom. Everything runs together nicely, so I am not sure how it's going to look to change the tile when everything is one big area? My husband has created a "step diagonal" and plans on laying the new tile starting there (it's where the dining room and living room meet). I need ideas, thoughts and suggestions.

Default Re: living, dining and kitchen tile for area

If you can create a border between the kitchen and dining room of a different color time it will create two separate rooms and will likely look like it was planned that way. You could also consider putting a wood floor in the dinning and living room to separate them from the kitchen. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Thank you Mike. The border might work. The wood floor (if done) would end up at the door of the master bedroom and that room has bamboo flooring with the grain of the wood going in the opposite direction) most likely would not work.

My husband has been watching "This Old House" since he was 7 years old (he's 44 now).

I like the wood flooring suggestion. Also, I think the plan on changing the tile though sounds like it will look just fine.
    ________
    Networx.com
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.