+ Reply to Thread

Question Island Countertop

I would really like to install a wood countertop for my new island. What is the best affordable, durable wood to use? Also, I heard it is not wise to use wood with a sink - that the Wood can buckle. Is that True? Thanks for any help on this.

Default Re: Island Countertop

Well it all really depends on the look you are going for. As far as cost wood counter tops can be fairly pricey. If you want to be able to cut directly on it you can use butcher block (usually end grain maple) that builds character as it is nicked and cut. As far as using sinks, some woods do buckle and warp when wet. In this case you could use a Mahogany (reasonably expensive) or teak (very expensive). Both are great outdoor woods and are very durable although I wouldn't cut on them as it will take away from the look of them. I recently have built two Vanity counter tops out of a wood known as Mangaris (I found it cheap at a surplus building center). It looks very similar to Mahogany and is very dense. I stained it and then Polyed it with Helmsman and so far they are standing up great. Hope this helps you out.

"I would really like to install a wood countertop for my new island. What is the best affordable, durable wood to use? Also, I heard it is not wise to use wood with a sink - that the Wood can buckle. Is that True? Thanks for any help on this."

The "Best" Butcher Block is an End Grain in Jatoba. Called Brazilian Cherry, the Common Name(s): Jatobá, Brazilian Cherry

Botanical Name: Hymenaea courbaril

Woodworking Qualities: Inherent density makes working with Jatobá by hand tool somewhat difficult. It does, however, sand well and can accept nails. If nailing seems to be a problem, adjust the angle of nailing and pre-drill.

Janka Rating: Like many exotic woods, Jatobá is a very hard wood. With a Janka rating of 2350, it nears the top of the list in terms of durability.

Species Characteristics: Jatobá is known in particular for its density and hardness. Teamed with the unique colorings, it has quickly become one of the most popular choices in recent woodworking products.

Maple has been the lumber of choice for Edge Grain Butcher Blocks, Common Name(s): Hard Maple, Maple

Botanical Name: Acer saccharum

Woodworking Qualities: This species of wood sands well, but because of its outright hardness, the machining process can be made excessively difficult. Unfortunately, because of Maples usually coloring, extra care must be taken, as sanding can leave unsightly scratches and imperfections on the surface of the wood.

Janka Rating: Maple shows a moderate level of hardness with its Janka rating at 1450.

Species Characteristics: Maple has a high crushing strength, going in tandem with its stiff and durable composition. Shock resistance and resistance to scuffs and sc****s commonly known as wear are qualities that Maple exhibits nicely, making it a more popular choice for Butcher Block Counter Tops and Flooring or high stress uses. (Basketball Courts)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jatoba End Grain Belair California Butcher Block.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	2668  

I have built an Island and used white oak. We cut right on the wood. It could use a little care right now, but still looks great. Very easy to give it quick sand and refinish.

I have also built wooden counter tops for sinks and yes, they can be a problem. The wood can cup. I suppose breadboard edges might help reduce that.

I'm never afraid to give something a try. What's the worse that can happen?