+ Reply to Thread

Default Grout or Wood Filler??

I have a 12 foot Oak transition piece that butts up against the tile floor, seperating the tile floor in the kitchen from the wood floor in the dining room. Do I need to fill the gap between the tile and the oak transition piece with the same kind of grout used on the tile, or with wood filler that can be stained to match the wood?

Default Re: Grout or Wood Filler??

I would use grout, however, make sure the wood is sealed because the acid in the grout will discolor the wood if it's not. Another option would be grout colored caulk.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Perfect! I actually just bought matching caulk, so that will work great. So I'm guessing I should go ahead and stain/seal the wood first? I just sanded wood floors last weekend, and will be staining/sealing them this coming weekend with a semi-gloss polyurethane.

Yes! You should always seal the wood before trying to grout, caulk so that the wood is the proper color and stays that way. As previously mentioned, the acid in grout will stain bare oak a nasty black and it will continue to penetrate every time the area gets wet. Caulk will prevent sealers and stains from ever reaching the wood which can allow moisture to get in and stain the wood OR prevent the stain from penetrating and causing splotches, streaks, and off colors along the joint.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You never use grout between tile and any dissimilar surface, especially wood. The wood will expand & contract with differences in temperature and humidity, causing the grout joint to fail. You also shouldn't use grout in a corner. There will be movement between wall/floor joints, wall/wall joints, wall/showerpan joints, etc. All of these joints should be caulked, rather than grouted.
    HTH

Dave