+ Reply to Thread

Thread: workshop

Hybrid View

Default workshop

i am building a new work shop, rather than pouring a slab, i am building a slightly raised treated flooring system, deck with 3/4" plywood floor,(and some type of easy to clean finished surface) it will be located directly under a fairly new four season porch,16x18, so there is no need for a roof, the floor will only be a few inches off of the ground, QUESTION, should i insulate this floor and if so, how, keep in mind, rodents, pests, etc. i live in new york state. thanks

Default Re: workshop

IMHO, a slab will be faster and easier than trying to frame a floor a few inches from the ground. You also won't have a problem with rodents or pests under it nor the possibility of rot because without sufficient airflow under it that floor isn't going to last long.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i was hoping for a different response, i already began the work, any other advice

Unfortunately, I can't offer anything. With the framing and deck so close to the ground, my guess is that you'll have moisture and pest problems in short order. I live on the west coast and wouldn't be able to get away with what you're attempting.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sounds like its too late for the slab! Although I would have suggested a wood floor even if you had the slab. Did you start by putting down some thick poly and covering it with stone. This would at least keep some of the moisture problems in check. Won't your rim joist be at ground level all the way around to keep out the critters? Maybe I am not correctly picturing how you're building it. I would recommend insulating with foam board between the floor joists that has been treated to keep the bugs away from it.