+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Garbage disposal waste in dishwasher!

Just moved in to a older home about amonth ago,just now noticed food in the dish washer.tonight when we ran the dishwasher food backed up in to the sink from the diswasher.the drain line from the dishwasher drains in to the disposer. I dont now if it just needs some liquid drano or what.open for all suggestions.

Default Re: Garbage disposal waste in dishwasher!

Lonny , I vote that you snake out the drain and see what happens .

Lonny, I think you have 2 separate problems. One is the food getting into the dishwasher is most likely because the air gap for the dish washer was not installed or was installed improperly. The second is slow draining which could be some stoppage in the grinder or the drain line. I would recommend you first try cleaning the trap, while you have the trap off put a bucket under the drain and run the dishwasher, if it doesn't back up into the sink you'll know that the grander is not at fault. If the trap is clean when you removed it rent a snake at your locale tool rental and snake the drain. Garbage grinders are one of the biggest causes of stopped up drains.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Lonny ... welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have a partial blockage in the drain line and would agree that "snakeing" the drain line will likely solve the problem.
    As Jack mentions disposals do create issues of blocking drains.
    Although there may be other things like tree roots further down the drain line that will contribute.

The water from the dishwasher comes into the drainage system under pressure and volume.

Your sink drains under gravity when simply running water and allowing it to run down the drain. The partial clog will let the sink water drain through but will back up on the heavier discharge from the dishwasher's pump.
    A simple test would be to put the stopper in the sink and fill with enough water to completly cover the bottom of the sink. Then remove the stopper ... you should see the water drain rapidly from the sink if there is no blockage .

The mention of food showing inside the diswasher after a backup seems to indicate the discharge hose may not be installed properly.
    If the dishwasher is installed correctly, the discharge hose should rise above the drains of the sink before coming back down to the disposer inlet. This should prevent backflow into the dishwasher.

Make sure the discharge hose from the dishwasher loops up toward the counter directly as it comes out of the dishwasher so that after the waste water is pushed up, it will drain DOWN into the drain. If the hose drains downhill into the dishwasher from the disposal .... the back flow of water will go toward the dishwasher.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by canuk; 08-20-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: oops ... another spelling boo boo
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

While doing the previously mentioned investigations will also help. I would check the back flow "flapper" on the dishwasher pump as well and make sure that the hose to the dish washer loops up to touch the sink rather than laying on the cabinet "floor"

I remember Rich doing an ATOH segment about both but I'm too tired to go look for it.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Sounds to me like a block in the drain line.
    Like Canuk mentioned check the hose from the dishwasher to see if it's up high otherwise you'll get all kinds of junck if there is a backup.

I talked to Lonny at work yesterday . He said that the trap was clean , and the hose was tied up high . He's going to snake the drain line and see what happens .

Air gap in place? might also be that the disposal needs to be ran and flushed before using the dishwasher. Rather then just checking the trap I'd also remove the outlet drom the disposer and check to see if the disposer is clear, obviously disconnect the power first. Most disposers have a key so you can manually spin them to verify they are flushed clear and have no blockages without running the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Watson View Post
    Air gap in place? might also be that the disposal needs to be ran and flushed before using the dishwasher. Rather then just checking the trap I'd also remove the outlet drom the disposer and check to see if the disposer is clear, obviously disconnect the power first. Most disposers have a key so you can manually spin them to verify they are flushed clear and have no blockages without running the power.
    Done . No problem found .

I'd also like to suggest the possibility that the disposer may be scummed up so bad it could be contributing to the problem. If that is the case, you could use a disposer "tic-tac" cleaner available from your local home center. A quicker and easier solution is to run the disposer packed with ice once or twice. This should help clear out the crud. Additionally, you can throw in a couple lemon wedges to eliminate any odors that may be present.

As mentioned, disposers can be a common cause of drain problems. After the issue is resolved, if you find that it reoccurs again in the future, you may want to consiter upgrading the disposer. An upgraded disposer will be better suited to grind up food and should lessen disposer/drain related issues.

Lastly, on a note of personal experience, I witnessed the effect of trying to use a disposer for the peelings from a large batch of potato salad. The disposer instead made home-style mashed potatos which gummed it up very badly.