+ Reply to Thread

Default Recessed Lights Help

We are in the process of planning our basement refinishing. I purchased some recessed lights, but I am concerned about the installation. The lights fit but there is no gap between the top of the can and the floor upstairs. Is this up to code or should I take them back and get different ones?

They are IC lights.

Thanks

Default Re: Recessed Lights Help

Return them and get smaller ones. You want to have some room above them. Fitting too tight may cause some issues down the line.
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

The IC cans are for direct contact with insulation; this means they do not give off a dangerous amount of heat, and therefore are safe in your predicament. I hope you have a little wiggle room at the top, or you are liable to have difficulty actually getting them flush to the ceiling. It really sux when the trim can't fit tight to the drywall because the can is up as far as it can go but it's still not enough.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I would recommend exchanging them for recessed Halogen lights, they are smaller, the light is a better color, and they make a much smaller hole in the ceiling for a cleaner look.

paretoslaw...You have no clue what you are even talking about! You are confusing this poor person. When installing a can light, yes a IC is for direct contact to insulation, but the question was they had no clearance at the top of the can and it was touching the sub floor from above. NO, you do not want a can light fitting that tight to anything, as mentioned in another answer, you may not get the trim ring tight or it could have other issues.
    So, paretoslaw get off the crack pipe and go confuse someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    paretoslaw...You have no clue what you are even talking about! You are confusing this poor person. When installing a can light, yes a IC is for direct contact to insulation, but the question was they had no clearance at the top of the can and it was touching the sub floor from above. NO, you do not want a can light fitting that tight to anything, as mentioned in another answer, you may not get the trim ring tight or it could have other issues.
    So, paretoslaw get off the crack pipe and go confuse someone else.
    I too would be leary of an IC can touching the bottom of the above sub floor. Could it cause a problem?
    A query to the manufacturer would result in a reply with and inch or so of "wiggle space" being in order, methinks.
    But did I ever run into that issue? Not yet.
    I too think the present spotlight & floodlights we all grew up with do present a dated look, but that is what makes the world go round. Good luck with your project....

Quote Originally Posted by paretoslaw View Post
    Oh! Just looked at gregs site. Now that is comical. I thought greg was a belt sanderbetter guy. LOL!

Good luck with that there greg...........
    Has nothing to do with luck! ...But thanks anyway

IC means the housing of light maybe within contact of insulation. It does not mean that it can be in contact with wood. You need at least 1/4' clearance from the wood for code purposes even with the IC can.

They make "shallow" cans for these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmy View Post
    IC means the housing of light maybe within contact of insulation. It does not mean that it can be in contact with wood. You need at least 1/4' clearance from the wood for code purposes even with the IC can.

They make "shallow" cans for these situations.
    Exactly!

The only thing that I can think of that would remotely apply here would be a mention somewhere early in 410 that says there needs to be a shade anywhere a luminare could reflect heat in excess of 90C on a cumbustable surface .... but it would be a real stretch to try to apply it here so ... I would say it would pass inspection but... will the trim fit? i would say try to keep at least a 1/2" or so just to be able to move it around or adjust it, I wouldnt be above putting something on the wood to reflect some of the heat off if either even tho it probably wouldnt be needed. If it were a NON ic then you would need a 3" clearance. IC can go right up against the frameing.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content