+ Reply to Thread

Default Plastering still popular?

I'm a huge fan of the show and old houses in general, and always find it a shame that plastering walls and ceilings seems to be a lost art. Is there any demand for the traditional plaster walls by today's homeowners or is it just mostly historic preservation/touch up jobs? Is the price much different than drywall? (No character, and so cheap feeling!) I've read that plastering had gotten easier in recent years due to advances in application, etc. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Plastering still popular?

No. Traditional plaster isn't done anymore that I know of. The cost of materials and labor is cost prohibited to do traditional. However there is veneer plaster which is a 1 or 2 coat system which can be from 1/8-1/4" thick. Veneer plaster price wise is more than drywall.With drywall its board,tape,mud.With plaster its board,tape,basecoat,finish coat(1 coat would be finish coat only).I prefer 2 coat for walls.In my area blueboard is 5.50,base 13.00,finish 11.00.But I think plaster is far superior to drywall.But this is my job.

Is the veneer plaster applied over a drywall base? is it as strong as traditional plaster? I saw it being applied on a episode of TOH, and was surprised!

Yes its called blueboard. The papar is treated so the plaster sticks to it. Its quite strong, not sure which is stronger though. I prefer 2coats on the walls and one on the ceiling.

To define the terms traditional plastering would be pre-1930 and conventional plaster would be post 1930. During the 1930's plaster and construction in general underwent big changes with some advantages and some disadvantages.
    Traditional plaster materials are still used in both repair work and in new straw bale houses. Modern or conventional plasters were designed for modern houses and are great for modern houses. Veneer plaster is just what it sounds like, a veneer that looks like a finish plaster, which it is but it has no depth or substance, being only 1/8" thick.
    Traditional plaster is a non-gypsum, lime, hair, sand plaster which was designed for the houses that were built prior to 1930. Mixing modern plaster and traditional plaster in repair work has long term implications that are not good.
    There are many adherents to using the traditional plaster materials in this modern day, unfortunately the low cost of instant gratification wins out over materials and techniques that will last for centuries.