+ Reply to Thread

Default reclaimed brick patio

My wife and I are building a patio made from reclaimed bricks (12' x 30'). We used pressure treated 2 x 8 for the boarder pitched 3" in the narrow direction. I compacted the existing earth then compacted 7" of crusher run down to 4", then added 1" of bluestone dust and compacted it as well. Finally screeded about 1/4 - 1/2" of the bluestone dust to level. Bear with me I will get to the point soon. Started laying the bricks setting them in with a rubber mallet, they are reclaimed bricks so there are some spaces and gaps. I had purchased 5 bags of polymeric sand, I was told each bag would cover about 100 sq ft. Of course with the large gaps it would cover less. While I was laying down the brick I swept some bluestone dust into the joints and watered the patio to try and compact the dust into place. The qustion I have is this going to cause problems for me using the polymeric sand? I didn't want to fill the whole void with the sand because of the expense. Also the sand I have is tan I can get grey which is what I am leaning toward since I how the grey will look (bluestone dust).

Thank You, Cush

Arrow Re: reclaimed brick patio

Cush,

We have done pavers (which is similar to what you are doing with the reclaimed bricks). We have used the sand and the gravel dust with no problems. You may just get a mix of color that you did not intend, but we found no problems with mixing them together, as both were just used as a filler and stabilizer between bricks/pavers.

Allison
    http://www.novapros.com