+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nail pops, patched up walls and cracking paint

Helppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!
    We just bought our first home. It was a short sale. Since we are first time home buyers we did whatever educated research we could do as to what to look for in a house. This house needed some work but we missed some stuff that is now bothering us very much. This house was built in 1955. It is back drop slit In NJ (east coast) and the neighbors say that the first owners did not maintain it very well. The house was then sold to an investor and that investor sold to another investor who rented it out. There was a small fire in kids room and I believe the investor may have gotten his money and thatís why he fixed it a bit, mostly superficially; tried to sell it but since there were not tenets the house ended up as a short sale which we bought 3 weeks ago!!!!
    Here are some problems that we are seeing any help or comment will be appreciated!!
    One, the walls have very clear lines and bulges where supposedly the drywalls meet. What can we do and how expensive can this be. Is there some other problem that we donít know?
    Two , We got a new roof and since then mostly of the wall and ceiling inside the house are getting these dimples. Some say the nails may pop out. Some of them actually did but mostly we only see a small circular depression. Can anyone suggest how long we can wait before these nail pop out (that is if they will) and what can be a fix for this.
    Three, the walls have so many patches, bathroom wall, store room ceiling below the bathroom. Even the edges of walls (as we now notice) have been repaired as if they were broken. What kind of problem could we be looking at, any suggestion. One important point is that one of the wall that we were painting seem to have cracked up paint; it is like when wood is wet and the paint on it swells up and cracks. Do you think the house has rotten wall. How can we find out. The inspector did not say anything of this kind. He had said that there is no mold and no moisture.
    This is a bit long but I am so desperate. Please help!!!!!!
    I will post pics soon or can send it to email if you want to see.
    Thanks
    cannotdo

Default Re: Nail pops, patched up walls and cracking paint

A new roof wouldn't affect the finish of the drywall in the manner you're describing. It sounds as if there have been multiple repairs made and the work was done poorly, leaving behind visible seams and joints. Divots would indicate that the drywall wasn't properly finished, specifically, not enough compound was layered into the nail divots to adequately fill them, leaving behind shadows and divots that you're now seeing. Without pictures to see exactly the extent of the problem, it's hard to say whether the walls can be floated and retextured or if total replacement would ultimately be cheaper and easier.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you so much for your feedback. I will post some pics soon; do try to see them and tell me what really is happenning here and if the floating that you suggest will work or not.
    thanks again!!!!

Here are the pics again. The ceiling with these dimples, corners with paches. ceiling and walls with bulges and lines:

Can't see what's wrong here. All I see is pixelation.

Is this a wall or ceiling? It's hard to tell if those joints are bulged from settling (walls ) or if the tape has released and is dropping (ceiling or wall ). This would have to be repaired, it cannot be skim coated. Repair would consist of removing the bulges or loose tape and redoing those areas. Once that is done, then the wall can be floated, retextured, and painted

Again I'm seeing mostly pixelation. Along the the top of the baseboard looks like there may be moisture or heat damage, like the paper has separated from the drywall. While I have successfully removed loose material and floated areas like this, if the paper has separated from the gypsum core, I would recommend repair of the area.

This looks like trim that has come loose. Perhaps a nail or two to reattach, caulk the joints and repaint. If this is metal corner bead that is used to finish outside corners of drywall, then a few drywall nails or screws to put it back into place, apply paper or mesh drywall tape over the crack and float out the area.

I can just make out the divots here. I'm guessing this to be the ceiling. Was there a water leak here at one time? That could account for severe dimples like that while the rest of the room is fine. I suspect that the drywall got damp and began to sag, causing the dimples. Laying a straight edge across the area will tell if there's any sag. If there is no noticeable sage, the dimples can be filled, the texture touched up and the whole room repainted (spot paint any repairs to minimize shadowing ).

Looks like joints showing through. I would suspect poor installation or moisture damage. If the tape is loose, it can be removed and replaced, floated, etc. If the ceiling has drooped or is loose, it needs to be repaired/tightened with screws.

Hope some of that helps. If I've misinterpreted the images, let me know.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Can't see what's wrong here. All I see is pixelation.
    >>> The corners are all patched up as if they were broken...I wonder why and how corners can break. What I am trying to figure out is whether this place has rotten wall or something; reason why most walls and ceilings have patches.

Is this a wall or ceiling? It's hard to tell if those joints are bulged from settling (walls ) or if the tape has released and is dropping (ceiling or wall ). This would have to be repaired, it cannot be skim coated. Repair would consist of removing the bulges or loose tape and redoing those areas. Once that is done, then the wall can be floated, retextured, and painted

>>>the house has catherdral wall in the main living room and this is one of the walls. I think they did a bad job...is this process expensive? Is it dangerous and will the wall fall out or something if not fixed in next couple of years?

This looks like trim that has come loose. Perhaps a nail or two to reattach, caulk the joints and repaint. If this is metal corner bead that is used to finish outside corners of drywall, then a few drywall nails or screws to put it back into place, apply paper or mesh drywall tape over the crack and float out the area.

>>>>This are is stairway . when are coming down the corner is in front of you. I will try what you suggested. thanks

I can just make out the divots here. I'm guessing this to be the ceiling. Was there a water leak here at one time? That could account for severe dimples like that while the rest of the room is fine. I suspect that the drywall got damp and began to sag, causing the dimples. Laying a straight edge across the area will tell if there's any sag. If there is no noticeable sage, the dimples can be filled, the texture touched up and the whole room repainted (spot paint any repairs to minimize shadowing ).

>>>I will check for sagging as suggested. but similar dimples are in couple of rooms. Probibly they are also bad jobs. By there an easy way to tell if the wall have moisture problem?

Looks like joints showing through. I would suspect poor installation or moisture damage. If the tape is loose, it can be removed and replaced, floated, etc. If the ceiling has drooped or is loose, it needs to be repaired/tightened with screws.

>>>> these actually appeared a week ago. Our bed rooms are above this room. How long do we have before the ceiling may fall????

Thank you sooooooooooo much for your detail reply, you dont know how helpfull and educating they are for us. Thanks again.

>>> The corners are all patched up as if they were broken...I wonder why and how corners can break. What I am trying to figure out is whether this place has rotten wall or something; reason why most walls and ceilings have patches.

I see. Corners like this can get beat up pretty badly by rambunctious youth, careless adults, or animals. High traffic areas can really take a beating in a busy household. Damage here is not indicative of internal problems with the wall.

>>>the house has catherdral wall in the main living room and this is one of the walls. I think they did a bad job...is this process expensive? Is it dangerous and will the wall fall out or something if not fixed in next couple of years?

Will the wall fall down? Unlikely, and certainly not without considerable warning. Was this a great room that was divided by the previous owner? While I've seen some seriously bad work done by contractors on new construction, it is doubtful that this would have gotten past the inspectors had this been original. My suspicion here is that too few fasteners were used and very poor installation and taping of the drywall. With your hand, push on the areas that are bulged out and see if there is any visible movement in the panels, on both sides of the joints. It's possible that you can tighten these areas by installing screws to be more flush. Once that is done, pull off the loose areas of tape, retape, float, and texture. If the entire wall is this way, it may be easier to just remove all the drywall and start over.

>>>I will check for sagging as suggested. but similar dimples are in couple of rooms. Probibly they are also bad jobs. By there an easy way to tell if the wall have moisture problem?

By laying a straight edge across the surface ( for ceilings ) you'll easily see where the drywall has sagged. There is no "fix" for this sort of thing, the drywall must be removed and replaced. If you can get access to the back of the ceiling, then you'll likely find water stains or mold growth/stains. Water damage to walls is usually shown by the paper delaminating from the gypsum core. It is best to remove the damaged area and replace with new drywall.

>>>> these actually appeared a week ago. Our bed rooms are above this room. How long do we have before the ceiling may fall????

That's a tough question. Use the method discussed earlier of pushing on either side of the joints and watching for movement. There should be none if you're on a framing member. If you find it loose, install screws every 6" to 8" along the seam. I would also recommend locating the field joists (the joist supporting the middle of the sheet of drywall ) and installing screws every 12". Use care when you're running the screws in to go slow so as not to puncture through the surface paper of the drywall. Once you do that, there's no holding strength for that fastener.

Thank you sooooooooooo much for your detail reply, you dont know how helpfull and educating they are for us. Thanks again.

You're very welcome. Please report back your findings and progress. Don't be afraid to ask more questions as they arise.