+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for chainsaw advice

I just ordered my first chainsaw. The only use I have for it is camping every couple of weeks. Aside from that it will sit in storage throughout the winter.

I'm just looking for suggestions on how to maintain the saw. Sharpening, lubrication, storage, etc, etc.

I have read that before long term storage I should drain the fluids. How long is "long term"?

If it helps the saw I got is the Poulan Pro 16" 35 cc Anti-Vibration saw.

I appreciate any help with this!

Default Re: Looking for chainsaw advice

Look in the owners manual for information on draining fluids for winter storage. To me long term storage would be more than a year. What do you do with your lawn mower over the winter?

I bought a file for my chain saw blade at the local hardware store. The files come in different diameters so you need to make sure you buy the right one. There is a guild on mine which allows me to get the correct angle. I was able to sharpen mine while still in the chainsaw (hit the kill switch first). I gave each cutter about 4 to 5 swipes with the file. I was amazed on how easy it was and how much better it cut.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rphelwig View Post
    Look in the owners manual for information on draining fluids for winter storage. To me long term storage would be more than a year. What do you do with your lawn mower over the winter?
    Absolutely. I just ordered the saw and haven't received it yet. I will definitely go over all the manuals it comes with.

I guess I'm assuming there are going to be some things that the manual won't mention that may be be helpful.

I don't own a lawn mower or any other gas tools. I live in Phoenix where we do everything we can to avoid yard work .

Quote Originally Posted by rphelwig View Post
    I bought a file for my chain saw blade at the local hardware store. The files come in different diameters so you need to make sure you buy the right one. There is a guild on mine which allows me to get the correct angle. I was able to sharpen mine while still in the chainsaw (hit the kill switch first). I gave each cutter about 4 to 5 swipes with the file. I was amazed on how easy it was and how much better it cut.

Rich
    How often do you need to sharpen the blade? I've seen a few sharpening jigs at the hardware store, are they worth the extra money or is it just as easy to do it by hand?

Thanks for the reply!

If you are just using it for camping, I would suggest you buy a couple of extra chains. You never know when you might hit a rock or something.

You can use 30 weight motor oil for the chain lube. It's cheaper and will wear the chain less than chain oil.

If you don't want to drain it every year you can mix Stabil in the gas mix. Mix as directed and you can store it and the extra fuel up to 2 years.

For best results use only the recommended 2 cycle oil in the gas mix.

Pack a first aid kit and never cut alone. Wear the proper safety gear. Many a wood cutter has died from bleeding to death.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I use a fuel stabilizer in all of my equipt . My saw might sit in the garage for a couple of months between uses . No problems cranking it when I need it .

Quote Originally Posted by AZAngler View Post
    Absolutely. I just ordered the saw and haven't received it yet. I will definitely go over all the manuals it comes with.

I guess I'm assuming there are going to be some things that the manual won't mention that may be be helpful.

I don't own a lawn mower or any other gas tools. I live in Phoenix where we do everything we can to avoid yard work .

How often do you need to sharpen the blade? I've seen a few sharpening jigs at the hardware store, are they worth the extra money or is it just as easy to do it by hand?

Thanks for the reply!
    Is the sharpening jig worth it? yes. when running a saw all day in the woods it is usually sharpened twice, once at lunch then at the end of the day when it is throughly cleaned. when you look at the chain you will see that the teeth are angled back and down so as you sharpen they get shorter, there is the anti kick back right in front of the tooth you use a flat file to do a couple of strokes on it at the same time that you do about 3-4 strokes on the tooth. you want to make sure that you do the same amount of strokes per tooth on both sides all the way around the chain if you don't you will notice that your saw won't want to cut straight but will want to cut in a curve. the only problem that I have with your post is that you get to go camping every couple of weeks, Just to let you know that just isn't fair.