+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Platering Block

Default Platering Block

I have an interior basement wall made out of block how would you plaster such a wall?

Default Re: Platering Block

If its not painted you can apply veneer basecoat to the wall. If it is painted you need to clean the wall,let it dry then bond it and basecoat it. Applt finish, prmie, paint, done.

Quote Originally Posted by plastrr385 View Post
    If its not painted you can apply veneer basecoat to the wall. If it is painted you need to clean the wall,let it dry then bond it and basecoat it. Applt finish, prmie, paint, done.
    So I don't need to use any mesh over the joints? Also it is painted so how would you recommend I clean it?

we always bond the wall even if it isn't painted to try to keep mortar joints from showing through

I'm not sure what to use to clean the wall. One coat should do it for basecoat if the joints show to much do a second coat over the first of base. Just make sure it is a veneer base. And with the wall being painted you must bond the wall with bonding agent in order for the plaster to stick. The bonding agent can be applied for up to 3 days without having to recoat(just a rule of thumb we use in Erie,Pa. If you can find some place that sells synthetic stucco aka Dryvit,Senergy,Plecko. They have a mesh that comes 3-4' wide and you can trowel the mesh into the basecoat that would eleviate having to do 2 coats of base. But it can be pricy. Can't remember the price per roll. But normally in schools when we plaster over block it's just one coat of base. Just remember when you goto finish over the base scratch, double, and set in with the finish and water trowel it smooth. Or you can buy Diamond brand veneer finish and do a smooth or swirl finish. Same as above just scratch double and swirl (making figure 8's on the wall) and done no water troweling needed. Okay I'll quit rambling now any other questions just ask