+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default wiring confusion - ceiling fan installation

I am in the process of installing two ceiling fans in my family room. They are both replacing existing light fixtures that are controlled from a single switch. Upon removing the existing fixtures, I've stumbled upon some confusing wiring. In one box I have two cables coming in... a gray cable containing a black, red, white and bare wire... and a white cable (with markings), containing a black, white and bare wire. The other box has these same two cables coming in along with an additional third white cable (no markings) also containing a black, white and bare wire. The ceiling fan has a black, white and blue wire along with a green ground wire. It comes with directions to wire to either the 3 or 4 wire comination, but assumes a single cable in the box. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Re: wiring confusion - ceiling fan installation

You are installing combo fan/lights right? Blue is the fan and black is the light I bet.

Tell us about the switches that control the light fixtures and what color wires are connected to the switches.

I'm an office bound electrician and had not touched a wirenut in years but installed one for a lady friend yesterday........... 'bout killed me ................ LOL..

Need more info; What wires are on the wall switch ? You didn't say what wires where on the existing lights. Where any of the other wires spliced together ? Also which ceilng box contains what(the one closest to the wall switch , for example)Lastly do you have a multimeter ? I assume you are installing fans without light kits, is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    You are installing combo fan/lights right? Blue is the fan and black is the light I bet.
    Isn't the black usually hot for the fan and blue for the light kit?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Not the one I just installed....... You read the thread.. I read the directions but was a bit distracted at the time............

Are you sure ? afterall you were distracted at the time.
    - Rush

Worked for me!

There ya go ... it pays to read the instructions and not take things for granted.

Oh .... and not to be distracted when working with electricity.
    - Rush

ib neber git shicked! sweard i do!

Answering some of the follow-up questions...

I am installing combination fan/light fixtures. The directions seem to indicate that the blue is for the fan and the black is for the light.

The switch on the wall is a single on/off switch. It has a white cable coming in, with black and white wires going to the switch and a bare ground wire.

The box with the three cables is closest to the wall switch.

I don't recall how the existing light on the 2 cable box was wired.

The 3 cable box had 1) the gray-cable/red-wire and the plain-white-cable/black wire connected to the light fixture/black-wires 2) the marked-white-cable/white-wire and the gray-cable/white-wire connected to the light fixture/white-wires 3) marked white-cable/black wire, gray-cable/black-wire and plain-white-cable/white-wire connected by a third wire nut and 4) all bare ground wires grounded.