+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: wiring confusion - ceiling fan installation

O.K. we are making progress. First make sure your boxes are rated to support a ceiling fan. If not swap out the boxes for the heavier duty fan type after drawing out your existing wiring. Now with the power off (of course) connect the blue "light" wires coming out the top of the fan to the existing colored wires that were previously connected to the ceiling lights. These are called "switch legs". Next connect the white wires coming out of the fan to the white wires previously connected to the ceiling lights. These are called your "nuetrals". Next connect the black wires "motor" coming from the fans to the other wires in the ceiling boxes. These wires were NOT previuosly connected to the ceiling lights but are in the ceiling boxes spliced together with wirenuts. These are "hots" and have power on them no matter if the wall switch is on or off.Also these "hots" will have a white wire connected to a colored wire in the ceiling box closet to the wall switch, do not change this,(it is NOT a nuetral)it is the constant power down to the "supply" side of the wall switch. Last connect bare/green wires together which are your "grounds" When you are done you will be able to control both lights from the wall switch together and you will be able to control each fan indepently by using the pull chain on each motor wheter or not the lights are on or off.
    Last edited by chromarado; 08-17-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    Answering some of the follow-up questions...

I am installing combination fan/light fixtures. The directions seem to indicate that the blue is for the fan and the black is for the light.

The switch on the wall is a single on/off switch. It has a white cable coming in, with black and white wires going to the switch and a bare ground wire.

The box with the three cables is closest to the wall switch.

I don't recall how the existing light on the 2 cable box was wired.

The 3 cable box had 1) the gray-cable/red-wire and the plain-white-cable/black wire connected to the light fixture/black-wires 2) the marked-white-cable/white-wire and the gray-cable/white-wire connected to the light fixture/white-wires 3) marked white-cable/black wire, gray-cable/black-wire and plain-white-cable/white-wire connected by a third wire nut and 4) all bare ground wires grounded.
    From your discription this is what you started with

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Now assuming my drawing is correct, is the switch going to control the fans, the lights, or both?
    Jack

Jack,

Thanks for the diagram. I'm assuming it's correct with respect to what you have included.

As for the light switch / fan controls... I'd like to have the option to have both the fan and/or light be on or off independent of one another. This would suggest that I would have a chain for both on each of the fixtures. I guess this would make the wall switch a master switch.

Quote Originally Posted by chromarado View Post
    When you are done you will be able to control both lights from the wall switch together and you will be able to control each fan indepently by using the pull chain on each motor wheter or not the lights are on or off.
    This configuration would work for me as well. Since I don't have a record of how the original fixture was connected in the 2-cable box, do you know what I would need to connect there?

Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    Jack,

Thanks for the diagram. I'm assuming it's correct with respect to what you have included.

As for the light switch / fan controls... I'd like to have the option to have both the fan and/or light be on or off independent of one another. This would suggest that I would have a chain for both on each of the fixtures. I guess this would make the wall switch a master switch.
    OK, to make the switch a master switch, wire the black and blue wires from the fan to the old light black connection, and the white fan wire to the old light white connection. Although I would think it would be better to have one or both lights on the switch and the fan controlled by the chain.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Although I would think it would be better to have one or both lights on the switch and the fan controlled by the chain.
    Jack
    Yes, that would be OK as well, as I indicated in my follow-up to chromorado. Are you in agrement with his guidance above? Also do either of you have any thoughts on the configuration of the 2-cable box?

Thanks.

Thumbs up Re: wiring confusion - ceiling fan installation

Here's a wiring diagram with the switch controlling both lights.( Assuming that the Black lead is for the fan and the Blue is for the lights)

If you only want the switch to control one light take the Blue wire for the other fan and move it to the connection with the fan Black lead
    Hope it helps,
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 08-18-2008 at 11:38 PM.