+ Reply to Thread

Default Cutting a round edge on ceramic tile??

I have a round edge on my counter sitting area that I don't want to cut off because it provides a nice work space. Because of this, I purchased 12" square sheets with 2" x 2" tiles that I can separate and use on the countertop overhang. I have a wet saw -- BUT!!! - how do I cut a round edge on the large square tiles???? Do I need a special tool?

Default Re: Cutting a round edge on ceramic tile??

From your description it sounds like you want a bullnose tile. These are specially made with a rounded edge on them. They come in the same style as your regular field tile. If you were to try to round off a flat tile it would take off the finish on the top. Hope this helps you out.

Question Re: Cutting a round edge on ceramic tile??

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I know what bullnose is and I'm going to use the small 2" sq. tiles for that (to go around the round edge of the counter). However, on the flat of the counter at the round edge where I'll be laying the square tiles, I'll have to cut a round edge - how or what do I use to do that???

Post Re: Cutting a round edge on ceramic tile??

I found this on another forum and thought it might help you.

When cutting, it really depends on the tile you are trying to cut: If the body of the tile is relatively soft, I use biters followed by a rubbing stone to produce a clean ropunded edge. For porcelain and hard stone, I prefer to use a wet saw blade. This use of a wet saw is hard on blades. I tend to use up at least 60% of a blade's cutting rim on making straight cuts before I relegate the blade to do freestyle work which tends to wear one side of the blade more than the other (and ruins the blade for further straight cutting). After cutting with the wet saw, I still use a rubbing stone to round over the edge. rounding the edge usually finishes the cut unless the color of the tile body contrasts with the glaze. When this occurs, I only lightly round the glaze and try to avoid the bisque.

Quote Originally Posted by CC in Maine View Post
    I know what bullnose is and I'm going to use the small 2" sq. tiles for that (to go around the round edge of the counter).
    I wouldn't recommend this. Those tiles are not going to look good and they're going to provide a place that will catch and snag things being drug on and off the counter, resulting in popped edge pieces. You'd be far better off with edge tiles cut into "horse tooth" and installed in smaller pieces. You'd set the edge tiles first, then the field, placing cut tiles at the back edge of the countertop.

For the radius, you'd lay all the straight field tiles first, leaving the corner for last. Align the mat of tiles in place, supporting what hangs over the edge, then scribe the radius with a pencil across the tops of the tile. Remove the pieces the require cutting, set the remaining pieces into the countertop. Cut the majority of the waste material off with straight cuts on the wet saw, leaving maybe 1/4" excess. Using tile nibblers, snip off the excess, just leaving the line. Test fit and adjust the cut line as necessary. Using a belt sander the remaining excess can be removed and a perfect edge ground on the tiles. An 80 grit belt will suffice, have several on hand as the hard tiles will dull the belts fairly quickly.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Or... use a 4" handheld angle-grinder to grind/smooth the curve...equipped with 1/4" thick masonry wheel or diamond-faced wheel.