+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question sticky luan under new vinyl floor

I just had a new vinyl floor installed in my old southern country farmhouse. I had to have some old termite damage repaired before the floor was laid. The repairer fixed the floor, laid tar paper and then luan on top to prepare for the vinyl installation. The luan was stapled with crown staples every few inches. The vinyl was installed beautifully; however, now I am finding that random steps on the floor results in a sticking sound of the tar paper against the luan that is moving (my guess). Will the luan settle over time? (It has been over one month and stickiness varies) Even if the luan settles, will the tar paper ever lose it's stick? Thanks for any advise.

Default Re: sticky luan under new vinyl floor

Other than a rant to confirm WHY staples are such a bad choice as a fastener for most applications, I don't have any advice (ring shank nails would have been the better choice ). I would also question the application of tar paper under the underlayment, however, every jurisdiction has their own requirements.

The only way that I know of to correct squeeks under existing flooring is to remove the flooring and fix the source of the squeek, then relay the flooring. In the case of carpet, no problem, in the case of vinyl, well, you're talking about new vinyl and underlayment.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would guess you have staples loosening, you'll know soon enough as they telegraph through the vinyl. I'm with Spruce, ring shank nails should have been used.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Ok,
    After speaking to the guy who put down the luan, he reminded me that the luan was stapled and nailed. He suggested that because the floor is old and uneven, the tar paper is sticking in those slight dips. He assured me that, over time, the stickiness will wear off. What do you think?

Ok,
    After speaking to the guy who put down the luan, he reminded me that the luan was stapled and nailed. He suggested that because the floor is old and uneven, the tar paper is sticking in those slight dips. He assured me that, over time, the stickiness will wear off. I do live in a very humid and hot area of South Carolina.
    I have not yet seen any staples or nails telegraphing through the vinyl. Does the wood and tar paper just need to dry out? What do you think?

I know your post in this forum is years old, but I thought I'd take a chance and post in case you still visit. I have the same problem where tar paper was installed under my laminate and it sticks when you walk on it. I'm wondering if yours ever stopped being sticky? Thank you!