+ Reply to Thread

Default Hardwood Floor in Basement

Hello,

My Husband and I want to finish our below grade basement. It has a solid concrete floor that we need to level (the plan is to use quicklevel). I would love to have a hardwood floor of some sort (it could be laminate if that is better in these conditions) but this basement has condinsation in the summer and a lot of humidity. We could run a dehumidifier but they make the room warm and my Husband hates the heat...are there any wood floor options that would not mold / warp in a below grade basement with moisture issues (especially in the summer)? I apologize if this is a stupid question but I would love to have these floors if I can. Otherwise, tile it is. Thanks, in advance.

Default Re: Hardwood Floor in Basement

BR-111 is one of the engineered wood floors that can be installed on a below-grade slab. You have to use a special polyurethane sealer on the slab.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks so much for your response. I should have mentioned this in my first post but two of the walls have hot water radiators along the base of the floor. When I read about sealing the concrete the articles said that we should seal about 3 inches up on the wall in order to insure that the edges of the floor have a good seal and won't let water in. The other two sides of the room are just 1/8 inch plywood (we plan on replacing it with sheetrock at a later date in time but for now). Given these two issues I'm not sure if we can effectively seal up the walls for 3 inches as the articles suggested. Is this really a problem or is there a workaround for this? Thanks, again!

Personally I would avoid wood flooring in a basement ---- too many potential issues.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Howdy, consider water and hardwood floors are not a great below grade floor. Handling insurance claims i have seen several ruined due to leaking pipes, surface and or ground water. There are some non wood products that look almost like wood that can withstand water. might want to cogitate further....

Thanks you, everyone, for your replies. It really sounds like the best thing to do is to go with tile. I have heard of some tile that looks like wood and, perhaps, if my Hubby won't mind the extra cost, we'll use those. However, ceramic seems like the way to go. Thanks, again .